I Found The One Red Velvet Recipe!

Decorating By KitchenKat Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 9:37am by chocolatestone

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 7:45pm
post #61 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by egensinnig

I made it after reading this thread yesterday and YES - it's magnificient! So much flavour yet wellbalanced. Moist and just perfect. I topped it with a whipped cream mixed with vanilla, cardamom, sour cream and grained almond paste and the people at the party I brought it to today almost licked their plates icon_biggrin.gif

which recipe are you talking about? Roses?

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 7:49pm
post #62 of 107

Sorry for teh confusion! I made Rose's. Just wanted to report back after my try and didn't read the last posts about other recipes. Rose's will be my one and only red velvet after this!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:31am
post #63 of 107

Tried the dream white choc cream cheese icing and it was spectacular! My new fave cream cheese icing. I don't like things really sweet, so I cut the white choc by 1/2, used 1 part almond and 3 parts vanilla and added about a 1/4 cup of icing sugar (oh, and I even quadrupled the recipe for my needs). It was perfect! icon_biggrin.gif Is this listed in the recipes? I want to add my 10/10 vote...

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 12:49am
post #64 of 107

Okay, so I did the Rose's Red Velvet cake. Hmmm, it is definetly good. It has a very fine crumb. I absoluetly adore her creamcheese frosting. I think it's better then her cake bible version. BUT, I think I like Cakeman Raven's better. It taste more like a true Sothern red velvet cake. I also prefer a richer flavor and denser crumb. But I will definetly use her cream cheese frosting.

Oh yeah, not sure if anyone remembers the Red Velvet cheesecake thread. But I did one for Christmas and it was WONDERFUL! Three layers of red velvet with a cheesecake layer in between, wow! The cheesecake layers were easier then I thought they would be to do as well. The key was getting the parchment paper at the bottom to break it's seal. They came out no problem!

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:01am
post #65 of 107

hmmm I may need to try Rose's RV recipe.. I get lots of Down home compliments about my red velvet cake.. its all butter..

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:44am
post #66 of 107

I just located my mother's recipe for red velvet cake. I used to love it when I was a kid. The recipe is at least 50 years old, and probably much older than that. She used two TBL of cocoa and a used both buttermilk and vinegar. It looks a lot like the Martha Stewart recipe. I haven't had it for many years, so I guess I'll have to rty it soon and see if it's as good as I remember.

The thing that distinguishes it from others I read about is the frosting. It was a "milk" frosting: flour and milk were cooked together and then the butter and sugar were added. Not as sweet as most frostings. I don't know if this was a New England thing or not, but I it's the only cake she paired with this frosting.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:04am
post #67 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACSlady

I just located my mother's recipe for red velvet cake. I used to love it when I was a kid. The recipe is at least 50 years old, and probably much older than that. She used two TBL of cocoa and a used both buttermilk and vinegar. It looks a lot like the Martha Stewart recipe. I haven't had it for many years, so I guess I'll have to rty it soon and see if it's as good as I remember.

The thing that distinguishes it from others I read about is the frosting. It was a "milk" frosting: flour and milk were cooked together and then the butter and sugar were added. Not as sweet as most frostings. I don't know if this was a New England thing or not, but I it's the only cake she paired with this frosting.

I'm planning on making my 1st Red Velvet for a woman at church who's turning 80. When I suggested Cream Cheese Frosting, she said no, she'd like it to have the cooked flour frosting. We're from Illinois, so it must not just be a New England thing!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:57pm
post #68 of 107

Wow! I may have to give Rose's a try!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:06pm
post #69 of 107

I don't feel this recipe has enough cocoa in it to pass a Southerner's idea of Red Velvet. One T is not enough to give the proper flavor, IMO. Perhaps I'll try this with some of my own modifications.

I won't buy this book. I have the Cake Bible and rarely use it. I find the cakes in there to be drier than what i like in a cake. My Southern Living recipes I base my cakes off of are far better, I feel, as do most of my clients.

luv2c_cultures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2c_cultures Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 12:04am
post #70 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACSlady

Would you be willing to share the recipe with us? It sounds so interesting!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:27am
post #71 of 107

Just wanted to say that I tried Rose's recipe for red velvet today and it was great! I actually went out and got the superfine sugar like the recipe says and I'm surprised at the difference it made! I think I will try upping the amount of cocoa next time, but this flavor was really nice too.

I didn't try the frosting, I tried Edna's Crusting Cream Cheese Buttercream. I liked it, though I'm still going to try the icing that came with the cake recipe at least once.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:51am
post #72 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebelles

Would there be any reason the Cakeman's recipe couldn't be made into cupcakes?

Nope, it Cakeman's recipe makes great cupcakes. I used to use Paula D.'s, but the butter makes it too dense for cupcakes. Cakeman's cupcakes are awesome. Waldorf is good, but Paula's (the butter flavor is really nice) and Cakeman's (the oil makes it lighter and moister than Paula's IMHO). Regardless, I adore red velvet. It's the one I just can't keep my hands off at 2am, no matter the recipe. hee hee

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:04am
post #73 of 107

ive been wanting to try to make this but not had the courage yet - we dont do red velvet down here

with the recipe, when it says cake flour or all bleached all purpose flour - do they mean plain flour or self rasing flour?

thanks

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:42am
post #74 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Okay, so I did the Rose's Red Velvet cake. Hmmm, it is definetly good. It has a very fine crumb. I absoluetly adore her creamcheese frosting. I think it's better then her cake bible version. BUT, I think I like Cakeman Raven's better. It taste more like a true Sothern red velvet cake. I also prefer a richer flavor and denser crumb. But I will definetly use her cream cheese frosting.

Oh yeah, not sure if anyone remembers the Red Velvet cheesecake thread. But I did one for Christmas and it was WONDERFUL! Three layers of red velvet with a cheesecake layer in between, wow! The cheesecake layers were easier then I thought they would be to do as well. The key was getting the parchment paper at the bottom to break it's seal. They came out no problem!

I started the thread saying I've found "the one" red velvet cake recipe (Rose's) but I recently revisted Cakeman Raven's and it was also very good, in a different way. You're right Bella, Raven's is definitely more authentic. But both are just sooooo good. I think I'll use Rose's for cakes and Cakeman's for cupcakes. Bless those two for coming up with and sharing fantastic recipes.

Hi, my name is Kat and I'm a Red Velvet addict. icon_biggrin.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:47pm
post #75 of 107

Mrs-A -
all-purpose flour means plain - not self-rising icon_wink.gif

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:52am
post #76 of 107

I did a little taste test of my own.

Cakeman Ravens RV. (three days ago)
The instructions didnt say to weigh out the flower, so I lightly scooped the flower to measure cup, until I reached the required amount listed in the recipe. The cake was very good, but had slight floury after taste. I went out the following day and purchased a scale and tried it again (7.93 oz). This time the cake tasted wonderful, and everyone at work loved it.

Roses RV (today)
I weighted out my flower as instructed in the recipe, 2 cups = 7oz. The cake was good, but this one also had a floury after taste. Im going to try again tonight, but instead of using the 7 oz as indicated in the recipe Im going to use my online conversion chart that says it should be 6.34 oz of cake flour. This cake was also little dry, just a little, so Im going to up the oil to 1/3 cup instead of the listed ¼ cup.

Im also freezing both cakes for a few days to see how they taste after being in the freezer, because I need a denser cake for stacking.

Okay, I pulled out Cakeman's RV and let it sit for a while. I just tasted it and it was still wonderful. I'm going to make it again, but this time I'm going to only use 1 1/4 cup of oil instead of the listed 1 1/2 cups, because it's still a little to moist.

to be continued......

Edited to add: my taste test was done without frosting or filling.

TejasRebel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TejasRebel Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:12am
post #77 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder

I love red velvet. My favorite recipe is Smitten Kitchen's. I use gel paste color and omit the step that says to mix the color with water.

Smitten Kitchen's is the best I've found also. And it has 1/2 c cocoa in it -- which is the traditional red velvet style that I grew up with.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:53am
post #78 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreCakePlz

I just finished compiling all my RVC taste-test results and the winner are:

1st Place - Cake Man Ravenâs Red Velvet
2nd Place â The Pastry Queenâs Red Velvet Cake
3rd Place â Waldorf Astoriaâs Red Velvet Cake
4th Place â Duncan Hines Red Velvet Box Mix
5th Place â Louisiana Red Velvet Cake
6th Place â Paula Deenâs Red Velvet Cake
7th Place â Bobby Flayâs Red Velvet Cake
8th Place â Melissa Grayâs Dark-Chocolate Red Velvet Cake

To see pictures of each cake and details about the taste-rest, go to my blog at:
www.thebakemore.blogspot.com

Carol

i just read your blog. WOW!! the time and effort you put into your red velvet cake bake off- was sooooo interesting.
i look forward to reading more of your blog. thank-you for sharing.
btw i use cake man raven as well.

glendaleAZ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:59am
post #79 of 107

TejasRebel - can you post the Smitten Kitchen's RV recipe? I'd like to give that one a try.

TejasRebel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TejasRebel Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:19am
post #80 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

TejasRebel - can you post the Smitten Kitchen's RV recipe? I'd like to give that one a try.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/09/red-velvet-cake/

I'll be curious to see how you like it in comparison!

glendaleAZ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:42am
post #81 of 107

thank you for posting the recipe. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. icon_smile.gif

glendaleAZ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:35am
post #82 of 107

Okay, so I just tasted Rose's RV with 1/3 cup oil and it still taste dry. I'm sure the cake wasn't over cooked, because I had just checked it with a toothpick and it had little crumbs stuck to it.

I like really like the texture and color of the cake.

Does anyone have any ideas?

AmandaLP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLP Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:34am
post #83 of 107

I will put Rose's on my "to bake list."

I tend to dislike cream cheese frosting, as my grandmother's red velvet cake had a cooked frosting on it that I am now tempted to perfect. icon_smile.gif However, that recipe is kinda dry, so it still needs some tweaking.

I tried Cake Man Raven's cupcakes from the bakery, late at night. They tasted dry, and the icing was overly cream cheese tasting. I may try the recipe at home sometime.

glendaleAZ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:07pm
post #84 of 107

I made the WASC version of RV (from this site), and although it tasted good, it was very wet, not moist, but wet. It was also a very, very dense cake.

I took Rose's RV out of the freezer and gave it a taste this morning and it tasted a lot better, less dry. I think when I add the frosting/filling to the cake it will taste GREAT.

So far Cakeman Raven's recipe is the best very good flavor and testure. (I just need to find a way to make the cake denser for stacking)

I'm going to try Smitten Kitchen's recipe next.

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:34pm
post #85 of 107

I like the Red Velvet Cake from Cook's Illustrated out of most other recipes I have had, but now I want to try Rose's and Cakeman's too see how they compare!

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:40pm
post #86 of 107

Ok, so I think I will try making Cake Man Raven's recipe into cupcakes this weekend. The only problem is, is that I live in the UK, and as far as I know, we do not have buttermilk here. Will this recipe still turn out ok if I use the standard subsitute for buttermilk (regular milk + vinegar and let stand for 5 mins).

Thanks

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 4:47pm
post #87 of 107

I'm not sure about this recipe...but I use buttermilk in my banana nut cake and i Never have buttermilk, so I Always use this substitute and it always comes out perfectly.

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 10:53pm
post #88 of 107

Ok, so I was going to make a batch of both Cake Man Raven's and Paula Deen's Red Velvet cupcakes, but once I printed them out and compared the ingreedients they are EXACTLY THE SAME!!! Hmm, someone's stolen someone's recipe!

Paula Deen's ingreedients:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cake Man's:

2-1/2 cups of cake flour
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of fine salt
1 teaspoon of cocoa powder
1-1/2 cups of vegetable oil
1 cup of buttermilk
2 eggs
1 oz. of red food coloring
1 teaspoon of vinegar (white distilled)
1 tsp. of vanilla extract.

Can you copywrite a recipe?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 6:55pm
post #89 of 107

I just tried Cakeman Raven's today -- I'd only ever made Red Velvet one other time and found it disgusting!! But, a friend requested it for her going away cake. So, I tried a batch of cupcakes today and topped them with Decorator's Cream Cheese Frosting from here on CC. They're actually pretty good! Still not my favorite, but a HUGE improvement from the first recipe I tried, which went straight into the trash. Oh, and I increased the cocoa powder from 1 tsp. to 2 Tbsps.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:05pm
post #90 of 107

I've been making Cakeman Raven's red velvet and everyone loves it. I increased the cocoa to 1 tablespoon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%