Pls Help! Need To Find An Icing I Can Pipe With .....

Decorating By CaryHaven Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 9:13pm by 3GCakes

CaryHaven Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:06am
post #1 of 7

I literally have decorated my first cake tonight. It's a dry run for my little girl's first birthday in a couple weeks. I love the cake, love the strawberry filling, and like the way I'm decorating it, but I can't stand the waaaay over-the-top buttery taste of SMBC. I made it because I don't like shortening and the too too sweet regular buttercream icing. Is there any other icing I can pipe with?- especially flowers since I know those are the ones that need the stiffest icings. It doesn't have to be a rose or anything, but I wanted flowers on her smash cake and hate the thought of giving her Crisco to chow down on. I'm debating just doing the flowers in buttercream icing but the rest in some sort of whipped topping - like Cool Whip or something the same in "lightness" but I don't think actual Cool Whip or whipped cream would support the flowers well. One other problem - the large cake is a themed Sesame Street Cake. I think I'll have to also do these borders in buttercream while the majority of the icing (on top and filling) is something much lighter. However, it needs to take color well. I've got the Wilton colors. So, can anyone give me any idea if there are other icings besides regular buttercream and SMBC that you can pipe with, doesn't taste like a pure stick of butter or sugar cube, and can also take color ok? THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:46am
post #2 of 7

There are a couple of products available that are a non-dairy whipped topping.
One is called "Frostin Pride" and the other is Rich's "Bettercreme".
Do you have a store called GFS (Gordon's Food Service)? They carry one if not both.
The two are about equal in making up and taste.
It comes in a carton like milk in the freezer but it won't be fzn hard - it always remains slushy. DO NOT defrost - just spoon out of the carton what you need and whip it up. It's hard to describe when it's done icon_sad.gif But if it is hard to squeeze thru a bag it is over whipped. Easy to fix - just stir in some more liquid - go easy and don't whip it in or you'll just end up with more over whipped icon_smile.gif
My experience w/Frostin Pride is it can only be tinted pastel colors. Add the color after it is whipped. HTH

3GCakes Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:52am
post #3 of 7

Sam's also has a whipped icing you can usually buy back in their bakery, not sure if it is Bettercreme or not.

Wilton make a whipped vanilla icing that I happen to really like and used to use all the time...you can get it at Michaels.

I use IMBC which is a lot like SMBC but I add melted and cooled white chocolate, which helps calm the buttery taste and adds some stability as well. I use it on most of my cakes now.

JenniferMI Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 7

I'm happy to share my buttercream recipe. Just PM me. It's light and not sickening sweet. It does use Sweetex and crisco.

Jen icon_smile.gif

CaryHaven Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 7

If there's a reply button to specific members, I've missed it? So I'll just reply to you all in one. icon_smile.gif

Kakeladi, we do have a GFS around here, and I will def try those. Do you suggest that just for the main icing of the cake, or can it be piped into borders or something more substantial? Does it taste like a whipped topping or a combination of whipped and buttercream, do you think? Thank you!!! icon_smile.gif

3GCakes, is that icing just called "whipped vanilla icing"? I think I actually saw that at my Walmart last night in all the Wilton products. If not, we have Micheal's, JoAnne's, and Hobby Lobby too. Thank you!

JenniferMI, PM'ing you now. Thanks!

2SchnauzerLady Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 7

CaryHaven - just look at the bottom of your post, and you will see icons - one for profile and one that says pm - click on pm to reply to that member. Welcome to CC!

3GCakes Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryHaven

If there's a reply button to specific members, I've missed it? So I'll just reply to you all in one. icon_smile.gif

Kakeladi, we do have a GFS around here, and I will def try those. Do you suggest that just for the main icing of the cake, or can it be piped into borders or something more substantial? Does it taste like a whipped topping or a combination of whipped and buttercream, do you think? Thank you!!! icon_smile.gif

3GCakes, is that icing just called "whipped vanilla icing"? I think I actually saw that at my Walmart last night in all the Wilton products. If not, we have Micheal's, JoAnne's, and Hobby Lobby too. Thank you!

JenniferMI, PM'ing you now. Thanks!

Yep....Whipped Vanilla. Not sure why I like it so much, but I do! My family likes it too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%