Royal Icing As A Board Covering?

Decorating By Andrea_Mamie Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 9:04am by cakenutz

Andrea_Mamie Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:47am
post #1 of 4

So Im almost done with my cake, and like an idiot, Ive been in such a rush that I completely forgot to plan for a covering for my board. I heard that using thin royal icing poured onto the board will cover it smoothly.

The board is just cardboard, will that affect it?

Will the BC on the board break down the RI?

I have fondant balls as a boarder, will the RI get between the crevices?

Any other tips? Or is there a different suggestion all together? Im kind of in a time crunch, so something fast and easy will work the best!

HELP!! Thanks icon_smile.gif

3 replies
kickasscakes Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:04am
post #2 of 4

I don't see why not.... As long as the surface is flat....? Anyone else have experience with this?

CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:51am
post #3 of 4

I used a thin royal icing to make a quick and easy Yellow Brick Road for my Tin Man and just the other day I noticed one of the girls do it on Ace of Cakes.
I think maybe you should do the royal and then add the border, not sure about it breaking down though, I've piped royal onto butter cream before with no problems.

cakenutz Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:04am
post #4 of 4

I wouldn't do it on cardboard unless it is thick foamcore. A thin board would crack the RI if bent even slightly' Besides I would let it dry a couple days b4 I put a cake on it and then apply border. I really like the nice smooth look of RI IMO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%