Silver Stenciling On Iced Cookies - How?

Baking By just_for_fun Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 11:25pm by bonniebakes

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:26am
post #1 of 11

I have used stencils before, but never with silver. Also, I used to use RI and now I use glace. So I would like some guidance please:

I iced my cookies with white glace, and I want to stencil on a design in silver. Do I stencil with glace, then brush with silver when dry? Or do I have to use RI? Or can I just do the silver with no icing? Or is there any way I can color glace/RI in silver before doing the stencil? Any help would be appreciated!

10 replies
just_for_fun Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 11

bump

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 11

I really think if you want shiny type silver, you will have to stencil it with royal, wait for it to dry and then paint it with luster dust that has been mixed with Vodka or lemon extract.

There might be some product out there that you could spray on your base coat but I'm not sure.

Good luck!

just_for_fun Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks cookiemookie. That's exactly how I made them, and they came out gorgeous!!
LL

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:49am
post #5 of 11

You're right, they did turn out gorgeous!!! thumbs_up.gif

just_for_fun Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 11

The party was last night, and everyone loved them! The cutest were the people who thought I hand piped each flower. "How did you get all of them to have the same flowers?" oh, cookie muggles! so easy to impress! icon_wink.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 11

how did you get the stencil to be so perfect with glace? I have never had luck with it. How thick do you need it to be?

just_for_fun Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:44am
post #8 of 11

I used glace on the cookie, then I used RI for the stenciling b/c I was not sure if the glace would be thick enough. I really wanted to try it cause I like glace better, but I didn't have time. So I just made a thick RI. This one is also not from my first 20 pieces. It took practice to get it to look nice.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 11

Do you smear it on with a bench scraper? Do you buy stencils or make your own?

just_for_fun Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 11

I used a small offset spatule, it might be easier with a bench scraper. I bought this stencil.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:25pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

I really think if you want shiny type silver, you will have to stencil it with royal, wait for it to dry and then paint it with luster dust that has been mixed with Vodka or lemon extract.

yep, that's what I've done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%