Help! Tres Leche 2 Layer Cake

Decorating By Sharaine Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 6:36pm by jobueno

Sharaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sharaine Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:33am
post #1 of 4

I tried today and milk went everywhere. I want to give one to someone but make it two layers and to make it look nice. When I turned it out on to my plate milk went everywhere after soaking for 2 hours. How do I keep my cake board and box clean with all that milk? I used whipped cream for the icing.. This cake is the best but messy.. I really don't want to put it in a 9x13 pan.. Please give me some ideas.. Thanks

3 replies
sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 4

I've never done it but I would definitely torte the cake before pouring the milk over it. Then you will have a big problem putting one layer on top of the other. If you have a technique for this I would love to know.
Sheila

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 4

Give this recipe a try. It's meant to be baked in layers, and it's DELICIOUS!!

Tres Leches Cake

2 ½ cups flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
7 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
¾ cup whole milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 container (1/2 pint) whipping cream
¼ cup brandy (optional, but it adds great flavor when used)

Meringue

6 egg whites
¼ tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 ½ cups sugar
¾ cup water
Zest of 1 lemon

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl; set aside.

2. Beat the 7 egg whites and sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes. Beat in the yolks one at a time. Beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture and 1/3 of the whole milk; repeat twice, beating until smooth. Add vanilla.

3. Pour the mixture into a buttered and floured 10 round cake pan. Lower the oven to 350 degrees; bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool in the pan 15 minutes; unmold. Cut the cake into 3 horizontal layers; place on wire racks set into shallow baking pans.

4. Combine the evaporated milk, condensed milk, cream and brandy in a medium bowl. Prick the top of each cake layer with a toothpick. Ladle 1/3 of the milk mixture over each cake layer; set aside. (It will seem like a lot of liquid, but it really does sink in if you ladle it on slowly, kind of pressing down as you go.)

5. For the meringue, beat the 6 egg whites, cream of tartar and salt with an electric mixer on medium-high speed in a large bowl to form stiff peaks; set aside. Combine the sugar, water and lemon zest in a medium saucepan. Heat to a boil over medium heat; cook until temperature reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer, or until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage. Remove from heat. Carefully add the syrup in a thin stream to the egg whites, beating on medium speed. Beat until firm, 5-6 minutes. Restack the cake layers; cover the sides and top of the cake with meringue. Refrigerate until serving time.

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 4

I'm sorry to say that a true tres leches cake is not supposed to be two layers high. You can't make it like it's supposed to unless you leave out quite a bit of milk. The cake is supposed to be wet but not drippy. so If you tried to add a second layer it would definetly collapse. My suggestion is to bake a tall cake 3" tall but don't torte it. just frost and decorate like normal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%