Newbie Help! Ideas On How To Decorate A Ganash Covered Cake

Decorating By pankake Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 10:24am by pankake

pankake Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:40am
post #1 of 5

Hi there,

I am doing a cake for a friend for a birthday and originally she was going to have cupcakes, which was all fine. But now she wants a cake that is covered in ganash with teal and mauve incoroprated in it some how.
How do you think I could do it?
I am very new to cake decorating and want to do a simply, but nice design. As I am not getting paid for this cake I don't want to spend hours and hours trying to decorate it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I feel a bit lost at the moment. icon_eek.gif

4 replies
Jopalis Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:58am
post #2 of 5

In my pictures is a cake that I did for a neighbor...It is a huge ganache covered cake. I used chocolate transfer sheets for the sides. They come in many colors and patterns. You could also consider making modeling chocolate roses. You can make them with candy clay that uses Wilton candymelts or Merkens.... If you color yourself you will have to use candy color. It could be quite exquisite. Does she want brown or white chocolate?

pankake Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:08am
post #3 of 5

she wants brown ganash and unfortunately because I am in a small town in Australia I don't have access to the wilton products or candy melts. It was also a spare of the moment request and it is needed for the weekend.

I though about once it is ganashed decorating it with a boarding top and bottom with the mauve and/or teal and then doing a couple of flowers for the top, putting a big standing '60' on it (as requested) and pipe alternating mauve and teal tiny polka dots on the sides of the cake.

What do you think?

Jopalis Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:22am
post #4 of 5

LOL.... Just tell her it's not a nice combination of colors.... LOL... Sounds like maybe she just said it and didn't put much thought into it. You are a good friend to want to try but when it's last minute...KISS method must be used... LOL... Keep It Simple... brown, teal, etc. May not look that good... Maybe someone here has ideas... No time to really order or try anything ahead... Ganache looks nice with chocolate roses.... ganache piping.... decadently chocolate... I use the ganache recipe on here by Chef Taz... It's the best I have ever tried. I pour it on pretty warm though to get the flow.... Cool the rest and pipe with it. I don't know how to work those colors in nicely.... Unless you can just do them in flowers but really...not sure if it wouldn't take away....

pankake Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:24am
post #5 of 5

Yes, I totally agree. I have been trying to diplomatically tell her I don't think it is the best colour combination, so I think I will just stick with what I know and suggest one colour to go with the ganash if she really wants it.

Thank you so much for your advice, I just needed some assurance that I wasn't completly over reacting hah.

Wish me luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%