Jeep Cake- Help!

Decorating By crysrn Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 3:09am by cakesrock

crysrn Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 2

i am wanting to make my husband a jeep cake for his birthday. can someone tellme how to stack the cake and hoe to support the bottom so i can put wheels on it.

1 reply
cakesrock Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:09am
post #2 of 2

I would stack 2 cakes baked in loaf pans and carve. You will have to insert dowels into the bottom layer and use a cardboard support between the layers. If you transport it, then use a centre dowel as well. I would use the chocolate pound cake recipe or the original WASC in recipes. They both hold up well for 3D cakes.
I have tried to put wheels under a 3D structure (tank cake) in the past and this was not a good idea- the weight of the cake with the fondant is too much. You'd probably be best to make wheels out of fondant covering something (cookies, donuts, candy melts, depending on the size of your structure) and attach them.
I've only ever used the Wilton car pan and carved it to suit my needs, but I don't think that it would work for a jeep.
Have you searched the galleries for other jeeps and found one you liked? You could PM the person and find out how they made it....
Have fun and good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%