What Design Is This?

Decorating By Angelfire3 Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 1:35am by Angelfire3

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 8

Here is a cake I did just because my family & I wanted some cake no we were CRAVING Cake and once I make a cake I HAVE to put some type of design on it. This cake was strawberry banana cream filled with strawberry buttercream and iced in regular buttercream. I was just practicing with my swag/vine thingy (what is it called?) and my roses, but I couldn't see the indentations so I just went along and free-styled. I couldn't get my icing smooth so I used my comb smoother and this is what I ended up with.

Any tips on how to get it smooth? I figure I'll just make 2 batches of buttercream instead of one. The more icing, the smoother it gets? I'm still working on my roses and leaves (the center of the leaves kept separating as it was coming out the tip. Any suggestions). How do I do rosebuds directly on the cake? Thanks everyone.
LL
LL

7 replies
Angelfire3 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 8

40 views and no responses?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 8

Well, I read your post, but it sounded like you had already figured out the buttercream thing, and I don't know how to do rosebuds, so I didn't post.

I do know how to fix the leaf problem though. You need tip 352 instead of the usual leaf tips.

Angelfire3 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for replying, I was looking for clarification. I think I used tip 352. I have no idea why I have icing problems. I'm good at fondant.

kcjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcjc Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 8

Are there absolutly no lumps or any hardend particle in tip of leaf tip.
Sometimes the very tip can get pushed together atthe tip.
take a very thinknife blade tip or something similer to be sure it's not metal to metal causing no icing to get thruogh at that very center of tip.
Sorry can't help on the roses.maybe go to youtube .
Good luck

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 8

I'm the same way...fondant is easier than buttercream to me. I've been trying to practice my buttercream so that I don't always have to do fondant. I had pretty good luck recently with Indydebi's recipe and the Melvira method. You do have to put a thicker coat of buttercream on than you usually would under fondant. It felt like I was using way too much frosting when I did it.

Tip 352 is the one that's forked like a fish's tail. You need a thinner consistency icing for leaves than for roses.

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 8

Like someone already said, sometimes you have to open up the leaf tip just a little bit and the icing does have to be thinner. Sometimes I add a little bit of corn syrup to thin it out. And the buttercream does have to be put on pretty thick before I can get mine smooth. I use the large icing tip if I am really wanting to do my best job; otherwise I just apply it with a small spatula. HTH

Angelfire3 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:35am
post #8 of 8

There were no lumps what so ever. The cake was pretty leveled. I also froze it for 30 mins with the crumb coat. But b/c it was so warm in my home, the icing became soft and within 5 mins the icing was soft.

I have leave tips 352 & 20 (Fleur-de-lis). I tried using both of them. My icing was actually pretty stiff. The next time I make a cake (this week for my MIL) I will make sure the "leaf" icing will be thinner than the "flower" icing. I need to do a youtube search for all the flowers & leaves I can make with these tips. How do you make drop flowers with these tips? I used those too and they came out ugly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%