Red Velvet And Fondant Question... Eeeek!

Decorating By bmarlow001 Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 7:40pm by chouxchoux

bmarlow001 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 10

I have to make a red velvet cake for a customer this week but I'm having a little trouble deciding what to do about the icing, I would think that the normal cream cheese icing would be a bad idea considering I am using fondant to cover my cake... Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? recipes? TIA!

9 replies
melmar02 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 10

What about a crusting cream cheese icing? I haven't tried it yet, but there's one in the recipe section. I got the impression it would act like buttercream.

bmarlow001 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 10

That's what I was originally thinking... good to know there is one in hereicon_smile.gif I will def. try it out and see how it tastes. Thank you!

Elaine2581 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 10

I recently did a groom's cake that was red velvet and had a similar debate, just because of the refrigeration issue. Mine was not covered in fondant but I ended up using my regualr buttercream recipe (Sugarshack's) and added one package of instant cheesecake flavored pudding mix. I tried just adding it in and it seemed a bit grainy so the next time, I mixed the pudding in 1/2 cup of boiling water and then mixed it in. I did add some meringue powder to make sure it crusted, but Sharon Zambito (Sugarshack) does not use any in her recipe. It turned out great; easy to work with and delicious. I see no reason why that wouldn't work under your fondant.

KitchenKat Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:42am
post #5 of 10

I use regular creamcheese icing on my red velvet cake. It's fine without refrigeration for up to 24 hours. I use it as a filling but use white chocolate ganache under the fondant. Yum. Yum.

marag Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:55am
post #6 of 10

I use a white chocolate buttercream on my red velvets when I don't want them to be refrigerated. I just add melted white chocolate to my vanilla buttercream recipe. It tastes great!

bmarlow001 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:31am
post #7 of 10

I love the white chocolate ganache Idea! is there a good recipe on here you would recommend?

niccicola Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 10

white choco ganache has to be a ratio of 3 parts white chocolate to 1 part cream. So, 8oz of cream would be 24 oz of chocolate. Let it sit for a few hours to harden up then smooth like you would a crumb coat.

P.S. nobody says you HAVE to use cream cheese icing with red velvet cake icon_razz.gif

FullHouse Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:30am
post #9 of 10

I've used the decorator's cream cheese icing recipe from this site on Red Velvet under fondant, it's fine in the fridge w/fondant just don't cover it. The icing was also fine at room temp for the better part of the day during the party.

chouxchoux Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 10

i used white chocolate ganache, made with gharedelli white chocolate under fondart....i was wonderful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%