Need Help With Guitar Cake!!!!

Decorating By Crisie9 Updated 26 Nov 2009 , 4:38am by cakelovincrazy

Crisie9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crisie9 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 9

My sister wants me to make a bass guitar cake for her boyfriends birthday.... I have no idea were to start!!!! HELP!!! icon_eek.gif

8 replies
iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 9

I have done two guitars. No bass though, both acoustic. I carved them both out of two stacked 12x18 sheets. traced the body of my husbands actual guitar, then scaled it down to fit the cake. Covered with fondant and painted with food coloring mixed with vodka. Made the handle out of foamboard covered in fondant. The first time I used raw pasta as the strings, that was very hard. The second time I used metallic thread, which worked much better. Hope that helps! Both pics are in my gallery. Good luck!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 9

i did much like iluvjay only i didn't have a REAL guitar to trace so I just did a freeform sketch and used that as a template. I also used metallic thread for the strings and used silver thumbtacks for the part that holds the threads on.

HTH
LL

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 9

Wow how did you make the paint splatter thingies ( can't think of a better word)?
It reminds me of those paint things that spin and you drop paint into it and end up with a multi-colored splattered circle painting?
Anyone know what those are called?

It's awesome how ever you did it!

GuinnessTigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuinnessTigger Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 9

I have done a number of guitars as well. I used many of the same steps as the other people that have responded, only I didn't have a guitar to trace. I found a picture of a guitar on the internet, printed it out, then enlarged the picture. I then carved sheet cakes using the enlarged picture. For the arm of the guitar I have done it two different ways. In one case, I used cake for the arm. For the other cake, I used rice krispy treats for the arm. I found the rice krispy treats worked much better.

I also used fishing line for the strings. I tried a few different things, but found the fishing line worked the best.

Good Luck!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:34am
post #6 of 9

That was one of the FIRST real decorated cake I ever made, still can't figure out WHY I said yes and WHY I even thought I could pull it off!!! Anyhow, I got the pics of the real guitar about 2 weeks before the cake was due (they ordered it months and months in advance) and I totally FREAKED out wondering HOW I was going to do the paint splatters!! I didn't know ANYTHING about cake decorating at all at that point...stumbled on CC and figured it all out! I wound up mixing luster dust with clear vanilla for the silver and gold and then used the powdered white food coloring mixed with vanilla for the white (titanium dioxide) worked like a charm!!!

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:54am
post #7 of 9

I'm not sure what your skill level is, so forgive me if I'm off base here. I just did one also and used this website for inspiration. It also has the outline ready for you to print out.
Here is the site if you are interested.
http://www.howdini.com/howdini-video-10457955.html

You can see the one I did in my photos. I did tweak it a bit and changed the pattern somewhat to match the one on my friend's invitation. The directions here are for just a 9x13, but I did add a 9x9 to make it a little bigger.

HTH

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelovincrazy

I'm not sure what your skill level is, so forgive me if I'm off base here. I just did one also and used this website for inspiration. It also has the outline ready for you to print out.

You can see the one I did in my photos. I did tweak it a bit and changed the pattern somewhat to match the one on my friend's invitation. The directions here are for just a 9x13, but I did add a 9x9 to make it a little bigger.

HTH

I love the vibrant colors you are getting for your fondant...the purple, the yellow!!! awesome....how are you getting colors like that.

Also I am glad I stumbled on this thread...I was stumped as to what I was going to do for my son's bday (not til Feb), he will be 24 and I think I will do a guitar cake. icon_smile.gif I love the splattered guitar.

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:38am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycanary62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelovincrazy

HTH

I love the vibrant colors you are getting for your fondant...the purple, the yellow!!! awesome....how are you getting colors like that.

Also I am glad I stumbled on this thread...I was stumped as to what I was going to do for my son's bday (not til Feb), he will be 24 and I think I will do a guitar cake. icon_smile.gif I love the splattered guitar.

On mine I used americolor electric orange and yellow, much brighter than my wilton colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%