What Type Of Frosting Do You Use For Your Cakes?

Decorating By Mikeray Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 10:17pm by Lita829

Mikeray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikeray Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 37

Those of us who are into cake decorating, think of the beautiful icing designs when we think of cake. Icing is the finishing touch on cakes, cookies, and cupcakes. There are several different types of icing used in cake decorating.

Buttercream Icing: Buttercream is the icing that is used the most in cake decorating. This is the same type of frosting that we can buy readymade in the grocery store.

Foam Icing: This is a meringue and is used on lemon pie or Baked Alaska. This frosting is made of egg whites beaten into stiff peaks. It is possible to add flavoring and color to the meringue.

Fondant: This icing is very popular with those who decorate wedding cakes, and cakes for very special occasions.

What other Frosting do you all use for your cakes, please do share it?

36 replies
bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 37

I use Italian Meringue Buttercream that I do not feel is any where close to what you can buy readymade from the grocery store.
Royal Icing: Powdered sugar mixed with egg whites (meringue powder) to make a frosting that hardens considerably.
Chocolate ganache: Dark Chocolate mixed with cream to give a smooth, spreadable texture.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 37

Buttercream made with 100% butter.

Paul

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:05am
post #4 of 37

I also use 100% butter buttercream. I'm new to cake decorating so I haven't branched out much yet.

Sweet_Guys since you use all butter, are you able to get your cakes perfectly smooth? Its been a challenge for me.

bakery_chick what cakes are good iced using Italian Meringue Buttercream. I've never tried this.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:33am
post #5 of 37

I use "butter"cream that is all crisco or half crisco and half butter.

I use Marshmallow Fondant to cover my cakes. I also use fondant and gumpaste for decorations and also royal icing.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:42am
post #6 of 37

My "basic" icing is White Chocolate Italian Meringue Buttercream.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:46am
post #7 of 37

IMBC (all butter mousseline), Ganache, white chocolate cream cheese frosting, fondant (MFF). Occasionally I use royal icing.

I've always wanted to try Indydebi's bc because it's the best tasting shortening based I've ever encountered but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:46am
post #8 of 37

After we ice a cake, we refrigerate it for a while and then use the Viva paper towel method to get it smooth.

Paul

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:06am
post #9 of 37

As of now I am using buttercream (50% butter, 50% shortening, and 10X sugar), chocolate ganache (both white and dark), and fondant. I think I am going to convert to either IMBC or SMBC instead of the butter, shortening, and 10X sugar buttercream. Someone made a cake with it at work and it was quite tasty. I have to get in the lab (kitchen) and do testing with it. I made it years ago when I was in high school but haven't made it since icon_redface.gif . Hopefully, it will be like jumping back on a bike.

tmelrose Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 37

Thanks Sweet_Guys there is hope, plus I need more practice.

Lita829 I've never used or tasted IMBC or SMBC, do these taste like meringue off pie? DIdn't know if these icings would work on all cake in place of buttercream or if they were best for only certain kinds of cakes. Also I guess these aren't stable for any kind of piping?

Jessica1817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica1817 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:00pm
post #11 of 37

Quick question, will the 50% butter/50% shortening crust and hold up well like 100% shortening, esp in summer? I've been wanting to try, esp with the weather getting cooler!

Lita829 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:45pm
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmelrose

Thanks Sweet_Guys there is hope, plus I need more practice.

Lita829 I've never used or tasted IMBC or SMBC, do these taste like meringue off pie? DIdn't know if these icings would work on all cake in place of buttercream or if they were best for only certain kinds of cakes. Also I guess these aren't stable for any kind of piping?

My taste buds don't remember what vanilla IMBC tastes like icon_redface.gif but what I sampled at work was chocolate IMBC. It was smoother and less sweet than regular sugar based buttercream. It was delicious but I just have the same concern when it comes to piping. I'm gonna bump this to someone who currently works with IMBC or SMBC.

Lita829 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:47pm
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1817

Quick question, will the 50% butter/50% shortening crust and hold up well like 100% shortening, esp in summer? I've been wanting to try, esp with the weather getting cooler!

From my experience, the 50/50 buttercream holds up well in the summer. I didn't have any problems with it. It pipes like a dream.

HTH

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:50pm
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

Paul

Yup. Swiss Meringue Buttercream is my preference.

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:52pm
post #15 of 37

Vanilla SMBC is just plain SMBC, in my definition. Just vanilla added, and nothing else. Sometimes, I don't add any flavor whatsoever. Yum!

tmelrose Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:22pm
post #16 of 37

Jamie do use one of the SMBC recipes off here, like Sinful Swiss Meringue Buttercream? Wasn't sure which one to try.

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:29pm
post #17 of 37

I use The Well Dressed Cake recipe, it's in here and it is fab!

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:31pm
post #18 of 37

There's a sticky in here somewhere that Jeanne (recipe is hers) posted as well. Walks you through making it....trying to search Google for it.

leslie2748 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslie2748 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:36pm
post #19 of 37

HELP!

I also LOVE my IMBC recipe...it is Warren Brown's "cakelove" recipe...but I have a problem! I can't figure out if it can stay room temp a few days or if it must be kept refridgerated..I hate the taste of cold cake.

Does anyone have the end-all, be-all answer for this? I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere!

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:42pm
post #20 of 37

I wouldn't leave it out for days. I personally, at home leave them out for a day, but I wouldn't advise a client to. I have a cast iron stomach though.

leslie2748 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslie2748 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:51pm
post #21 of 37

It's so strange, how answers have varied..in Confetti Cakes, she has a SMBC that says can be kept at room temp for 3 days..which would be heaven but can it be true?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:08am
post #22 of 37

I've left my cake out for 3 days and I use IMBC. I've also made SMBC and have left out for 3 days. I don't know if it can go past 3 days or not, as I toss EVERY food item out after 3 days.

MissSassyBuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissSassyBuns Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:09am
post #23 of 37

SMBC or IMBC pipes great! The difference you will see when working with them is that you have to be quick. The heat from your hands will soften the icing quicker than using all shortening or 50/50 shortening/butter. If you notice it getting too soft, you can pop the bag in the fridge and let it firm up.

I LOVE them!!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:38am
post #24 of 37

I like SMBC, often with 70% butter, 30% sweetex. Pipes great, holds up very well, smooths really well, takes flavors nicely, great under fondant. I also like that it isn't so sweet and more buttery, but some people prefer a sweeter icing, then I use a powdered sugar variety. Kids seem to prefer the PS kind, adults seem to like the SMBC better.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:57am
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

Paul

Hi Paul. What recipe do you use? And how do you keep it from melting in your hands as you do your piping? I find it loses its form and definition because it gets so soft.

Thanks!

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:59am
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSassyBuns

SMBC or IMBC pipes great! The difference you will see when working with them is that you have to be quick. The heat from your hands will soften the icing quicker than using all shortening or 50/50 shortening/butter. If you notice it getting too soft, you can pop the bag in the fridge and let it firm up.

I LOVE them!!

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:47am
post #27 of 37

I love IndyDebi's buttercream--it is the best crusting recipe I have found--the taste is light and creamy; it takes different flavorings so well! I also use Toba Garrett's chocolate buttercream (the only chocolate BC I make)--a great rich chocolate flavor even without the chocolate liqueur. I absolutely love Toba's French Vanilla buttercream, which IMO, is similar to a meringue buttercream but you make a custard base instead of using eggwhites.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:30am
post #28 of 37

I used IndyDebi's buttercream before, but have decided to use Sugarshack's BC recipe for my next upcoming cake.

I have also used MMF before, but will switch to Satin Ice for my next cake.

My next cake will be quite a series of 'firsts'. icon_razz.gif

tmelrose Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:41am
post #29 of 37

Thank you Jamie, I found it. Definitely will give it a try!

cindycraig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycraig Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:12am
post #30 of 37

I absolutely love Decorator's Cream Cheese Frosting from this site. It crusts beautifully and it's slap-your-momma good!
Anyone have a favorite chocolate buttercream that is pretty dark? I'd love to find one-- preferably one that will crust. I'm a VIVA girl!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%