Sugar Flower Help!! Argh!!!!

Decorating By onlymadaresane Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 9:20pm by Bakingangel

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 4

So I'm making (well ATTEMPTING) the parrot tulip. (ya know the new moon one). I've made all my petals and I go to put them together and they're just not working. I'll get them positioned (one at a time) and then tape em and by the time I get any bit of tape they've moved or the flower seperated from the wire (I'm using 20or 22G cloth wrapped wire). or the petal flat out BROKE. I think that maybe the base of my petal is too thin because I can see the wire when I insert it..not coming through but I can see the indent. I'm using 50/50.

I'm going to continue to try. But if it comes down to it, do you think I can just insert them one at a time in the cake to make the shape of the flower? Or is that a bad idea? Any suggestions? Thinner wire?? I did figure out it has to be cloth wrapped for it to work here...these are crazy time consuming and if they come out it'll be worth it, but if not!! icon_cry.gif

Thanks for whatever advice you've got!

3 replies
sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 4

That's an awful thick wire. I'd probably use a thinner wire, for me, 24 or 26 g paper wrapped. I only use paper wrapped wires for my flower petals, because the petals spin on the cloth and it's just too thick for me. I also only use full gumpaste, not a 50/50 when wiring my petals, that makes them stronger. If they are falling off the wires, your petals may be too thick, you still want the center to have a little thickness to insert the wire, but the rest needs to be thin. Also make sure they are 100% dry (I dry mine overnight) before trying to wire them. gosh I wish I could help more.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 4

oops...nevermind icon_redface.gif

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 4

Start taping the first pedal by going around it 2 times, come back up with the tape add another pedal go around it and the other 2-3 times, come back up the stem wrapping the tape around and continue until you finish adding the last pedal then wrap the tape around all the way down. This should keep the pedals from turning while you are working with it. Also you do want the paste a little thicker where the wire is inserted. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%