Very Bright Pink Buttercream

Decorating By stephicakes Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 10:13pm by TexasSugar

stephicakes Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there. I'm brand new, so I hope this hasn't been asked a million times. I want to make a very very bright pink, sort of magenta, buttercream frosting. I have Wilton colors (the 12 pack), but I was just using a lot of the pink in something else (those meltable wafers), and found a bitter taste. My daughter's first birthday is Saturday and I was counting on making this color icing.
I don't know if people are familiar with the Whimsical Bakehouse book, but that's the kidn of BRIGHT pink I'm hoping for.
What do I do?
If I use enough Wilton color, will my icing taste bad? I don't have time now to order anything online (I can't afford rush shipping). I have a hobby lobby and a michaels where I usually buy stuff, but if there is another store you would recommend, I can try to find one in driving distance. What are your thoughts?

8 replies
TexasSugar Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 9

I like Wilton's Rose for bright pink. I can't get anything but bright pink with it.

Plus if yo make your icing the day before it will darken up over night and you won't need quite as much coloring.

stephicakes Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 9

thanks. I know it tastes terrible, so I'm afraid to use as much color as I was hoping for. But I've never made my own buttercream before. So, are you saying that I can use a lot of it, but it won't affect the taste of my frosting?

cuteums Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 9

you don't have to use a ton of coloring to get it bright. Just let it sit for a while and the color will deepen.

stephicakes Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 9

I wish I knew how to post a picture. Copying and pasting doesn't work. Actually, the color of the words "cakecentral.com forum" on this page is what I'm going for.
thank you so much. I love to bake, but I'm very new to cake decorating.

jammjenks Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 9

I used Wilton's Rose color for the pink on these cakes and there was no funny taste.
LL
LL
LL

chefjess819 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 9

yeah. the wilton rose color works great to get a hot pink color. i didnt know that letting it sit overnight would darken it tho...will try that next time. as for a funny taste? i've never noticed it with my frosting.

edited to add: the pink ribbon cake in my photos used the rose wilton gel. thumbs_up.gif

stephicakes Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 9

ok, last question. My 12 pack has a pink color in it. It's just called pink (although, it says rose underneath, but I think that's the French, lol). So Rose is an entirely different color, no?

TexasSugar Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 9

Yes you can buy the rose in the 1oz jar at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. It is a different shade of pink than the pink in the 12 piece set.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%