Fondant ?'s

Decorating By scionmom Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 5:15pm by diane706

scionmom Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone! I am in the process of getting ready for Christmas cakes and I really want to use some red and green fondant, like true Christmas colors. I know that Satin Ice sells these colors but I have never worked with it before and have heard alot of mixed reviews on it here lately. I also kno that Fondarific sells the colors also and I tasted them at the OSSAS and they were oh so yummy!! But I cant remember if the green is a true green or if it is just the lighter shade, I remember the Melon, I think one of the best melony things I have every tasted!!! But just cant remember about the green. Any all advice and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

7 replies
Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 8

The melon is a pale green. The buttercream and vanilla can be purchased pre-colored green but it is the true hue of green (from what I remember seeing). For a Christmas green, you would probably have to add more coloring.

Call Lois & Laura and check with them. Perhaps they can mix a Christmas shade for you. I'm not sure.

Paul

diane706 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:49am
post #3 of 8

You can just add some green coloring to the buttercream or white. Fondarific accepts gel color nicely! Btw scionmom, I think I owe you an answer to your pm, don't I? LOL. Sorry, I got kinda busy at the shop today. Go right ahead and use the design for my "Funky" cake. Thanks for asking. I'm glad you like it. PM me if you have any questions. thumbs_up.gif

scionmom Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks! I really want to use the fondarific because i know it is oh so yummy!!! LOL. But wanted to make sure on the color, Sweet_Guys, do you kno the number to them to ask, because i would love to not have to do anycoloring because that is my least favorite thing of all!! I never can get it right.
Diane706, Thank you so much!!! I have a small cake to do for a friends daughter and she gave me free reign to do what i want... sometimes that can be very frustrating because I get so many ideas and want to try so much. I remembered seeing your cake and thought ooooh how fun!! Did you use 3 or 4 layers... to me it looks too tall to be just 2.

diane706 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 8

Here's Fondarific's contact info:
http://www.fondarific.com/contact.html

And yes, you're absolutely right about the three layers on the "Funky" cake. thumbs_up.gif I did three because I knew I was going to be carving away a lot on the sides and some on the top.
Have fun!

scionmom Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you thank you!!! I will email them and see what they say about the color. And as soon as I get the funky cake done... i will post pics, unless it looks horrible, then i will just send it to you so i dont embarass your design... LOL.

Debbie_Satin2010 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 8

icon_biggrin.gif I personally LOVE the Satin Ice fondant..for its texture and colors. It is easier to work with and doesn't tear like Fondarific. I have used it for years and never had a problem....plus it is more cost effective and they have great customer service. thumbs_up.gif [/b]

diane706 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 8

HeeHee Don't be silly! You'll do just fine!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%