Can Icing Be Re-Froze?

Decorating By SuzyNoQ Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 7:33pm by SuzyNoQ

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 4

I have some pink buttercream in the freezer if I make it into red can I re-freeze it for a fbct?
also how long can a fbct be frozen for before use? I am making a hamburger cake for m dh's cousin if he comes up next weekend. I would have enough red (from the pink in the freezer) to make my fbct also but my ds's b-day isn't until the end of December.
I used the bc recipie in the Cake Mix Doctor book, it has been in the freezer about a month.

3 replies
tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 4

Absolutely - I use and freeze and use and freeze all the time. I rapidly learned that it was easier and less messy to make a couple of BIG batches once in awhile and freeze, than to make small batches every time I bake.

As to the FBCT - theoretically you can freeze it indefinitely. Realistically - do you want a single sheet of wax paper with buttercream on it taking up space in your freezer uncovered? I can't sacrifice that much freezer space for that long-I froze mine overnight.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 4

Once it's frozen solid you can wrap the fbct and the board that it's on in plastic wrap and then foil. I've done this and kept it for over a month and didn't notice any difference in the taste of the buttercream used on the fbct!!! I made a practice fbct a month early and it turned out better than the 3 I tried the night before! lol

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks, I think I will make try it this week while dh is hunting, and dd is in school. So far dh's cousin hasn't been able to get off work, but I still intend to make him that cake eventually.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%