Pregnant Women...

Decorating By AmandaKate Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 5:30am by gabitusm

AmandaKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKate Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 16

Hi all,

Does anyone know if pregnant women can eat cakes with champagne or liquors in them? I mean baked in the actual cake, not the fillings. My most popular flavor is pink champagne and I thought it would be perfect for a baby shower cake I have coming up........and then I realized the champagne part. Anyone know the scoop on this one?

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 16

I would say it's perfectly fine. I mean, the amount of alcohol that goes into the cake really isn't that much when you divide it by how many servings you have and that's if most of the alcohol doesn't get baked off in the oven.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 16

I don't see why it would be a problem. It's just for flavoring, and not like she'd be drinking it. Also the alchohol evaporates when it's being baked, so if there's any trace of it in a slice of cake, it's so small that it won't be harmful

least, that's my educated guess icon_lol.gif

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 16

Yes it is fine, and I am saying this as a medical professional. The alcohol bakes off from the heat, you are left with the flavor without the alcohol (you know when you open the oven and the alcohol burns your eyes?). Most extracts have alcohol in them anyway. It is perfectly safe as long as the cake is baked.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 16

I agree with everyone else...but I'd LOVE for you to share your pink champagne recipe!! Is it in the recipe tab??

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 16

Same here. I'm under the impression that the alcohol evaporates from the heat.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 16

I think is safe from the eating standpoint, but if i were you I would ask the customer or the friends that are hosting the shower and make sure is OK. You don;t want people at the shower commenting that "she got a champagne cake and is pregnant OMG!!!! " You know, some people might not get it!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 16

Alcohol takes a long time to burn completely off. Yep. I was surprised.

JanH has some handy dandy links for that. icon_smile.gif

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 16

Actually, studies have found that only some of the alcohol evaporates during cooking. I don't remember the exact amount, but it seems like I remember reading it was either 70% remained, or 70% evaporated.

That being said, the amount used in one recipe is only the amount in one drink, two at the most. So when you divide that by the 12-20 servings one recipe makes, any one person would aonly be getting the equivalent of a couple of sips, and that's assuming none evaporated.

I would have no qualms about it myself, but I would check with either the hostess or guest of honor, just to be sure they were okay with it.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 16

there is no alcohol after baking. The heat takes care of that. Also, when you think about it Vanilla extract has a strong alcohol content, so it's really not a big deal because it is so little.

Pink Champagne cake sounds interesting.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:42pm
post #11 of 16

here is a link with some info on the subject:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/AlcoholCooking.htm

AmandaKate Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm
post #12 of 16

Wow thanks for all the wonderful replies and info!!!! I will definitely check with the soon to be grandmother and see what she thinks!

For those who would like the recipe here's a link to a loooooong list of cool recipes...

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

It's alphabetical obviously so just scroll down to Pink champagne....

I do not use the Lorann Champagne flavoring in the recipe because the bottle I bought smelled kinda funky......but I found that the cake tastes delicious anyway!!!! I've made it several times and it appears to be everyone's favorite!!! It's very moist and delicate!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:15am
post #13 of 16

Another chart:

http://www.ochef.com/165.htm

HTH

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:27am
post #14 of 16

Well, I can't really comment until you send me a generous sample of your Pink Champagne cake, and a bottle of pink champagne. I prefer Perrier Jouet, thankyouverymuch!

AmandaKate Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:02pm
post #15 of 16

haha I'll work on that icon_wink.gif

gabitusm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabitusm Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:30am
post #16 of 16

what kind of filling do you use with this cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%