Natural Food Colouring And Flavours

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 5:46pm by suzie1962

mrswendel Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I have a woman that wants cupcakes for an upcoming party. However, she is a naturopathic doctor and has asked if I can use natural colourants and flavours rather than artificial. I figured I could use fruit purees to flavour the icing which would also add some colour....but she wants fuschia pink and burnt orange.

Are there natural dyes and flavours that anyone uses for icing?

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 5

Interesting question. Define 'natural' kwim.

I googled 'natural food color'

http://www.naturesflavors.com/default.php?cPath=72

and it says:

Quote:
Quote:

NOTE: Nature's Flavors makes no claims about the suitability of natural food colors for any given purpose. Some colors will impart some flavor on the finished product, and may render unsatisfactory results, others may not hold up well to High-Heat applications. We encourage our customers to begin by purchasing a small sample to test before buying larger quantities. All Sales Are Final.

I mean her wanting a certain origin to the colors --yeah I get it--but then to need such specific results from the off the beaten path type colors might make it pretty difficult. Plus the higher the chance of the off taste.

Just what I got from one random search.
And I know there are some seasoned vegan cooks on here.
I'm sure you'll get some good help.

mrswendel Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks K8. Anyone else?

kakeladi Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 5

There is a company that makes some natural food colorings but I don't remember the name.......something like running deer or falling leaf - sorry that's the best I can remember.

suzie1962 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 5

http://www.naturesflavors.com/default.php?cPath=72

these are pretty expensive though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%