Molding People, Animals Etc.,

Decorating By ckckhome Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 1:20pm by ckckhome

ckckhome Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 9

What do you use when you model chocolate modelling clay, fondant, gumpaste or is there another item on the market that is better?

8 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 9

Hi ckckhome , I personally like to use fondant mixed with tylose or cmc, it makes a sort of, homemade gumpaste. But others do have more personal preferences on this subject, i like to play around have fun and see what works best for me, but i find the fondant mixed with tylose drys nice and hard is much sturdier to use than just plain fondant

khoudek Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 9

If it is something that I need to have set up fast then I use gumpaste. If I need to work with it and it has to be pliable for a bit then I mix 50/50 gumpaste and fondant.

Musings9 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 9

I've only tried modeling with gumpaste and chocolate. I really like the modeling chocolate, it seems to be much easier to mold and it really holds it's shape and unlike gumpaste, you can actually eat it and enjoy the taste.

alene Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 9

Like khoudek, if I need it to try fast I use gumpaste. Otherwise I use 50/50 fondant/ gumpaste.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 9

I like adding CMC/tylose to fondant for strength. If I want something to dry quicker, I add in a little more CMC.

Price Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 9

Usually fondant with tylose added, but if I'm making it for my grandsons, they always want to eat the figures, so I make them from 100% fondant. It can be done, it just takes a little patience and longer to dry. When using the 100% fondant, I have to do things in steps and let things dry as I go.

FlourPots Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 9

Another vote for fondant w/ tylose added.

ckckhome Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 1:20pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks fellow CCer's good ideals. I want to make sponge bob figurines for a 3 year old. I think I will try modeling chocolate. Do you use candy melts are regular chocolate?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%