Convection Oven, Help

Business By ccc1234 Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 2:42pm by kakeladi

ccc1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccc1234 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, I bought a half sheet convection oven b/c I couldnt resist the great deal I got. My problem is I have never used one before and the lady that sold it to me had no instructions she bought it used for her restaurant. Can anyone help???? thank for reading

5 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 6

Most commercial convections you need to bake around 275 and put a pan of water in the bottom of it. Try that and see how it does, and adjust from there.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 6

What brand do you have? Most commercial convection ovens have air flow that is really too strong for cakes (stronger than that of a household convection oven). If yours happens to be a Deluxe oven then you've struck gold. Mine is larger--each rack holds a full sheet--but I expect that the 1/2-sheet would be just as good. Bake at 325 and try not using bake-even strips or nails on any pan that's 10" or under. In the larger sizes I do use nails, but not the strips. Also, watch for cakes to be done faster than you're used to. Happy baking!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 6

Google the name brand you have and see if you can find a manual for it. I know indydebi helped a lot when I was looking at them. (which is where the 275 and pan of water came from!) In my stove (NOT commercial) even 325 is sometimes too high with the convection feature on. You'll have to play around with different temps until you find the right one, IMO.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 6

i have a commercial convection oven, i just bake at 275, with the fan on low.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 6

Agree most fans are way to strong. I blocked mine (about 2/3rds of the opening) with aluminum foil.
I baked around 275-300 in my 1/2 sheet Blogget (sp?) I could bake at least 2-4 pans, depending on size on each of the 3 racks.
I would bake until I smelled them........then ck for doneness (is that a word??).
Didn't use pan of water. Seldom, if ever, used strips or nail. No need icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%