Wire For Fondant

Decorating By sarah_allane Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 3:40pm by sarah_allane

sarah_allane Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:38am
post #1 of 5

I have seen so many beautiful cakes that have the fondant dangling around or standing up on the cake attached to wire. What type of wire should I use and do I need to cover the tip of the wire with fondant or something to keep the cake safe from any chemicals in the wire?? Thanks in advance for any help.

4 replies
CakeMommyTX Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:51am
post #2 of 5

I use 20 gauge stainless steel jewelry wire.
To attache fondant/gumpaste pieces to the wire I heat the end of the wire with a lighter or candle flame until it turns red , (just a few seconds) then carefully slide the wire into the fondant piece and lay flat to cool.
The hot wire melts the sugar in the fondant and once the sugar cools and hardens it "glues" itself to the wire.
I insert coffee stirrer straws into the cake where I want my wire to go and insert the wire into the coffee stirrer.
These serve 2 purposes-
#1 The keep the wire from cutting through the cake and keep it stable.
#2 They hold the wire and prevent it from touching the cake itself.

tinygoose Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:05am
post #3 of 5

I use floral wire and insert drinking straws or floral picks into the cake to hold the wire. Wire never touches the cake.

khoudek Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:53am
post #4 of 5

For me the gauge wire I use depends on the weight of the fondant piece I need to wire. The heavier the piece the thicker the gauge. 20 gauge should give you support for most things, but go with 22 to 24 for the small details.

sarah_allane Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%