Cake Recipes Question

Decorating By soapyj Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 10:24am by hailinguk

soapyj Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:25am
post #1 of 7

Are there many of you that use box mix and tweek it or do you mainly bake from scratch?

6 replies
crisseyann Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:36am
post #2 of 7

Box mixes, sometimes doctored, sometimes not. I haven't had much luck in the scratch department. Although, the chocolate cake on the Hershey's cocoa can works well for me....very moist. icon_smile.gif

milkmaid42 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:41am
post #3 of 7

I used to pride myself on only making scratch cakes, but now unabashedly use doctored mixes. I find the consistency better for I always know how it is going to turn out. Practically the only one I make from scratch now is a deep chocolate which never fails me and always brings raves. I keep a large quantity of various boxes on hand in my cake refrigerator, (I live way out in the country and don't find it convenient to run to the store.)

aundrea Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:43am
post #4 of 7

i also use both. it depends on what you like. some scratch cakes can be dry or i find that so many people are used to box cakes that they dont like them. my fav is doctored cake mixes. you get the best of both cakes!
and i do call them homemade. IMO there is store bought, homemade and scratch cakes.
i do like my from scratch vanilla cake. when it bakes it smells like a vanilla donut ?? dont know why but it does. and it taste like a cross between a twinkie and vanilla pound cake.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:51am
post #5 of 7

I use both.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:28am
post #6 of 7

Almost exclusively mixes that are jazzed up.

I like the consistency of results. I live in TX and we have a saying, wait 10 minutes and the weather will change. Weather change and baking are not good friends.

I admire those who bake exclusively from scratch, I just haven't figured out how to get it done.

hailinguk Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:24am
post #7 of 7

aundrea - your cake sounds yummy! Please can you share the recipe? icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%