Glaze Icing Cracking

Baking By Decorating_Alma Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 2:07am by luv2bake6

Decorating_Alma Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:51am
post #1 of 10

I have tried two different types of glaze icing and I always have cracking issues. When the glazed cookie dries it shows cracks all over. Does anyone have a remedy for this or knows why this is happening? This seems more obvious when I use darker colors. Thank you for your time.

9 replies
cinderspritzer Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:59am
post #2 of 10

I know it can happen if they dry too fast, being too hot or too much of a draft around them. I've also had it happen if I stack them too soon. I don't know about anything else that might cause it. Sorry.

Decorating_Alma Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:11am
post #3 of 10

Thanks cinderspritzer! It is very cold in my house right now so you are probably right.

verono Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 10

It can crack also if you move them while they are drying.

drakegore Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 10

i agree with what's been said: stable temp (i dry mine at about 68-70 degrees) and no moving until the icing has set up a bit (20-30 minutes).

i ice on several different trays so that i don't have to keep moving cookies around. when i am done with tray three, i go back and relocate the cookies on tray 1 and start all over again with another group of cookies.

diane

sweetcravings Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 10

Make sure you use a really stiff cooling rack when you are letting them dry. I've found that with more flexible ones then tend to vibrate ever so slightly causing the cookie icing to crack. Like others have said, don't move them until dry and be mindful when placing the next cookie on the rack not to create too much movement.

Decorating_Alma Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 10

The glaze didn't have a fighting chance! I was moving them too much in addition to my house being cold. Thank you for your recommendations.

luv2bake6 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 10

I agee with what's been said. I had the same thing happen the first time i used the glace and it was so frustrating. I realized it was because of movement. The second time i was careful to lay them on a rack that was not going to be moving until they were dry, but got splotches all over and realized that it might've been too cold in the room!
That is why i use RI. It's alot more reliable.

drakegore Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:24am
post #9 of 10

try adding 5-6 drops of americolor's white (NOT wilton's....) to the glace before you add your colors and i bet you'll find that take care of the splotches.
diane

luv2bake6 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:07am
post #10 of 10

Thanks. I did add that because it's part of the recipe.
The splotches were from the cold room they were drying in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%