Help! I'm Making My First Wedding Cake! What Do I Do?

Decorating By beautifulbutterfly Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 4:02am by cylstrial

beautifulbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beautifulbutterfly Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:18am
post #1 of 4

Hi, I just restarted my cake bussiness and my first jobs is to make a wedding cake and an additional half sheet cake in order to feed a hundred people. The cake picture attached is wat they want but instead of fondant they want buttercream and instead of the flowers they want rose petals. Mom says I need to get some kind of supports because we're gonna use three 8" cakes on top of three 10" cakes. Any advice or tips would be much needed such as what kind of supports do I need, How do I get the cake to the wedding, ect. Oh and did i forget to mention the wedding is the day after black friday! Thank you guys for all your help and support. icon_eek.gif
LL

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:25am
post #2 of 4

That looks like it could be buttercream that was smoothed well. It's definitely possible.

I use foamcore boards and Wilton's hollow plastic dowels, plus a sharpened wooden dowel if I'm transporting the cake already stacked. I put the stacked cake in a brand new moving box (home depot has them for $1.29) on top of a piece of nonskid drawer liner, and put another piece of drawer liner in the car where the box will sit, which needs to be a flat surface.

You can also stack it up once you get there and then just pipe the border on.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:40am
post #3 of 4

I use the SPS system and love it! I started using it for all my stacked cakes in March and have never looked back. You can fully assemble and then deliver with this system.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:02am
post #4 of 4

SPS or you could probably use dowel rods or bubble tea straws since it's only a two layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%