Flavour Fondant

Decorating By Sisyphus Updated 26 Nov 2009 , 1:26pm by scionmom

Sisyphus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sisyphus Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:17am
post #1 of 11

I'm decorating a cake for christmas and I think that almond flavoured icing would be good for it. The trouble is, I'm new to working with fondant and am wondering if it is safe to add flavour to it and how to get the best flavouring. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:19am
post #2 of 11

Sure, you can add flavoring to fondant. Add it when you add the liquid to the recipe. If you're using a lot, replace part of the water with the flavoring...for example, when I make MMF, instead of 4 tablespoons of water I will usually do 3 tablespoons water and one tablespoon clear vanilla. Almond is a stronger flavor so you might not want to use that much. It does taste good, kind of like a very smooth marzipan.

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 11

I love using almond flavoring in fondant. The MMF recipe on this site (http://cakecentral.com/articles/105/mmf-how-to-decorate-cake-marshmallow-fondant) calls for 2 teaspoons of flavoring so you can use whichever one you want! And no need to adjust measurements of anything else.

Cheers!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:10am
post #4 of 11

Sure you can add extracts, oils, ect...

Jen icon_smile.gif

Sisyphus Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks all. I'll give it a go.

chouxchoux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chouxchoux Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:21am
post #6 of 11

i've used almond, vanilla AND butter flavor ( just a little of each) to mmf and it tasted wonderful.

Sisyphus Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chouxchoux

i've used almond, vanilla AND butter flavor ( just a little of each) to mmf and it tasted wonderful.

Mmm that sounds interesting, I'll try that too (gotta experiment before the final product is produced) icon_smile.gif

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 11

I have used the champagne flavoring and I think that is my favorite!!!

chouxchoux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chouxchoux Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 11

where do you get the champagne flavoring? i'm a scion mom too!

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 9:00pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus

I'm decorating a cake for christmas and I think that almond flavoured icing would be good for it. The trouble is, I'm new to working with fondant and am wondering if it is safe to add flavour to it and how to get the best flavouring. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

I just have to say, I love your name! Believe it or not, I did a Sisyphus cake for a conference my daughter was organizing.

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 1:26pm
post #11 of 11

I ordered the flavoring online for gsa. I love my scion... LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%