Attaching Fondant Accents?

Decorating By SJEmom Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 3:48pm by icer101

SJEmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJEmom Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:42am
post #1 of 10

Probably a really simple question with a totally logical answer...

For my daughter's birthday cake I was going to make a 2 layer 8" square cake and frost it with bright pink buttercream and then was going to add white fondant stars to give it an American Girl look for her Doll Fashion Tea Party. I have never worked with fondant before. I bought the Wilton Rolled Fondant in the box and I assume that I just roll it out and use the shape cutters to cut my shapes. Would I just attach with a little bit of buttercream? I am assuming that my buttercream might have crusted by the time I get to put the accents on, but I can work quickly and pre-cut my accents so that they can go on when the BC is still wet.

What is the best/easiest way? Anything else I should know? Thanks. icon_smile.gif

9 replies
sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:47am
post #2 of 10

You can apply the fondant while the buttercream is still soft or you can attach it with a little buttercream or water.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:26am
post #3 of 10

I could write a book on your question but I dont want to scare you.

If you are covering the cake with fondant and then need fondant accents:
You can attach fondant cutouts to fondant by using a clear grain alcohol (vodka, gin, everclear). Why you may ask? B/c the alcohol dissipates and doesnt mess up the integrity of the fondant. Dont use Rum. Feel funny about that on a kids cake? Then use lemon extract as your fondant to fondant glue. Their is a world of different "glues" you can use but thats a different thesis.

If you are just adding fondant accents applied directly to the buttercream:
the above poster is correct...I would steer clear of water though as your "glue"...even a little piping gel works great. Water "eats" at fondant.

Tip1:
Ok...once you get used to Wilton (if you must)...kids will eat anything but please please dont let the adults eat the accents. May I open your eyes to something so much better...try Satin Ice and/or even Fondarific. Wilton tastes like a chemical laden swamp. The other two are heaven! You can buy them on Globalsugarart.com they always have Satin Ice on sale and its the best deal on the net.

Tip2: Roll out your fondant for your accents thin. I cant stand to see thick cut pieces (IMO)

Tip3: Dont laugh but since you are just starting out with fondant...take the Wilton courses (Michaels has them). They are a great starter point. Or even watch all the fondant youtube tutorials you can get your hands on. Watch their techniques. Tonedna is one of everybodies fave here on CC.

Ok that should get you started - I didnt scare you did I?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:48am
post #4 of 10

Marshmallow fondant also tastes much better than Wilton, is much cheaper to use, esp if you are not making a profit on your cakes, and is pretty easy to work with. Also, you can try using melted chocolate (Wilton candy melts) for fondant to fondant if your accents slide off with buttercream or if you end up using a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste. I find that fondant generally holds pretty well with a thick buttercream (especially if accents are rolled thinner, as suggested by the previous post). But if they are on the side of a 3D cake it can be more challenging to get them to stay. Have fun and good luck!

SJEmom Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:58am
post #5 of 10

I figured that it would be just apply while still soft or use more bc to stick it on.

No, you didn't scare me. icon_wink.gif I haven't done fondant yet because it has sort of scared me and honestly whenever I have had a cake with fondant on it, I really don't like the way it tastes. Perhaps the bakeries where those cakes came from just weren't using the "good stuff". I am figuring I won't like the way it tastes and I am not planning on using a lot of it. Good to know that there is better stuff out there.

Thank you for the tip to roll thin. I bought a little roller just for that purpose. What do you recommend I roll it out on? A cutting board? Wax paper on my counter? Just my counter (granite)?

I have never taken any cake decorating classes and am sort of self taught by learning from all the amazing decorators here on CC, looking at pictures of other people's cakes, and once or twice a u-tube video for something that was a little more tricky (bc basketweave). Perhaps I will watch some videos for tricks.

Thanks!

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:00am
post #6 of 10

Agree with the above postings. I just recently added some fondant accents to a buttercream cake. The buttercream had crusted a bit, so I added a dab of buttercream to the accent piece and placed it on the cake.......no problems!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:58am
post #7 of 10

I think the Wilton fondant is good for one thing and that is that is easy to use and you get a feel for what consistency your fondant should be but that is all I think it is good for. I use it every now and again to make fondant/gp figures etc that are not going to be eaten. Since you now have a feel for the consistency of fondant and if you don't have the opportunity to buy any other brands right now then I'd recommend making your own as well. I like MFF (Michele Fondant's Fondant especially with white chocolate added to it).

Here's a FAQ's link about her fondant and the link to her recipe as well:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625727-michele.html+foster+information

As for rolling out fondant, you can do it directly on your counter top or cutting board whichever works for you and accommodates the size you want to roll out. I would recommend that you put down a tiny bit of ps or cornstarch on the surface before you roll out your fondant so it doesn't stick.

SJEmom Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the information. I am so not ready to make my own fondant. I will just hope that the few accents that I add with the Wilton pre made stuff won't taste too bad (or will be easy enough to remove). I am not covering the cake with it. If I were to be covering the cake and decorating with it, then I might try. I am still sort of a newbie in the whole cake realm thing. icon_wink.gif

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 10

if I am rolling something small out then I use my regular vinyl placemat (14" x 18" very smooth) bought from Target. Yep paid a whopping $1 for it. If I need a larger size then I either roll it out on my work surface or a large piece of vinyl that I bought at a fabric shop. If you do buy a large piece then ask for a large fabric roll* to keep it from getting wrinkles in it (they should give it to you for free).
Some people use ps or cs to put down before rolling and some smear shortening (crisco) on their work surface.
Make sure that you keep your fondant covered up when not working with it since it starts to dry out. Whatever surface you choose make sure it is very smooth cutting boards usually have nonslip type of surfaces which would make it difficult to keep it smooth and from sticking.

*Matter of fact....this just gave me an idea to go back and get another one and cover the roll (cut it down some b/c they are very long) with clear/white shelving paper (you know the big sticker rolls) to be able to move my large pieces of fondant to cover the big cakes.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:48pm
post #10 of 10

sjemom.. your cake will taste great.. people.. that don,t like fondant.. will peel off satin ice.. pettinice.. fondarific, etc.. as you get more into cakes.. you will see and hear this.. lots of people don,t like the texture of any fondant. so , yes, your cake will look and taste great.. don,t worry...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%