I Hit The Jackpot!!!!

Lounge By Rachie204 Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 4:56pm by Rachie204

Rachie204 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:25am
post #1 of 14

So I have spent the last few nights pulling out things from closets that I thought would be helpful with caking....mostly things that belonged to my grandmother who used to entertain and decorate cakes.

I hit the jackpot....LOL

I found folders of recipes cake/cookie/frosting's

I found lots of different candy molds

A 10in square pan (wilton)

11x15 pan(wilton)

A bunt pan (bunt pan brand)

A santa cake pan

Large muffin tin (for huge muffins)

9in checkerboard cake set

Ice cream cake set (this was actually mine that I forgot about)

Another pan that I am not sure what it is called....I think it might be for angle food cake though....shaped that way

A candy mold beginner book

and some other odds and end things....

Ha I was so excited....
But I have never used a bunt pan or the angle food one...what can I make with these? What kinds of cakes would do well in a pan like this?...It seems like you would need to cook something a long time to get it done being so deep.

Also what all can you do with candy molds?...I have never made any...have you ever used them as a decoration on cakes?

13 replies
sugarMomma Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:44am
post #2 of 14

The well in the middle of the angel food pan helps it to rise evenly so you don't have to bake it forever and end up with burned edges before the middle sets. You can find angel food cake recipes here or elsewhere online

As for the candy molds, you can fill with melted chocolate or eilton candy melts and certainly decorate cakes, cookies, cupcakes etc.

Sounds like you had a good day! Have fun!

myslady Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:47am
post #3 of 14

Bundt pan is usually used for pound cakes. Angel food pan would be for an angel food cake or chiffon cake. If you do decide to make an angel food cake, do not grease the pan at all. If you use any type of grease in the pan it can cause your cake not to rise.

I have often dreamed about making an angel food or chiffon cake, but I just can't get past whipping egg whites. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:40am
post #4 of 14

Candy molds are really useful. I like to make cupcake toppers with them...people love getting a cupcake that has a piece of candy on top.

Rachie204 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:48am
post #5 of 14

Thanks everyone!!!

Yes....cupcakes plus chocolate...Who could resist! LOL

I may have to try this... icon_biggrin.gif

Jeep_girl816 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:57am
post #6 of 14

Are they the clear plastic molds? I use chocolate or candy melts in them or even fondant or gum paste. For the fondant I grease them really well and put them in the freezer for a half hour or so then they usually pop right out, but don't touch until they come back to room temp (they'll be sticky). For gumpaste I freeze or just let sit for a few hours and they turn out great! Awesome find, have fun!!!!

Rachie204 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:10am
post #7 of 14

Yes they are clear plastic molds...

Some are just plain smooth squares and circles and others are smurfs, wonder woman, superman, and other various shapes...(Christmas trees, Santa,hearts,stars)

That is a really good idea with the fondant...thanks for sharing...I will give that a try!

kjskid Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:21am
post #8 of 14
Originally Posted by myslady

I have often dreamed about making an angel food or chiffon cake, but I just can't get past whipping egg whites. icon_smile.gif

That's one of the many reasons I *love* my KitchenAid!

jenbakescakes Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:29am
post #9 of 14

Just wanted to add that you can make an easy pumpkin cake with the bundt pan. I hate to carve so I love this method! Use any flavor cake (i usually use a doctored cake mix) and bake two bundt cakes. Then put one upside down and one on top right side up. (So it's the shape of a pumpkin). Then just ice and add a stem made of rice krispie treats and fondant. There are 2 examples in my pics.

JenniferMI Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:18am
post #10 of 14

That is way cool!!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Rachie204 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:28am
post #11 of 14

That is a great idea about the pumpkin...I will have to give that a try!

kcjc Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:38am
post #12 of 14

Hi.isn't it fun to come across family treasures as I'm sure your grandmother made wonderful treasures with those pans and recipes.
Heres one i got from Epicurious. It's Elvis' favorite pound cake made in angel food or bunt pan.

Elvis Presley's Favorite Pound Cake:

I made it a couple of times. delicious!

Mensch Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:52am
post #13 of 14

What kind of cakes did your gramma used to entertain? icon_razz.gif

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Rachie204 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 14

Karen~thanks for the recipe
Mensch~thats funny....I was probably trying to type with my 10month old pulling on my leg crying. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%