Ma License For Residential Kitchens? Where Do I Begin?

Business By steffb Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 11:17pm by steffb

steffb Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:15am
post #1 of 5

I am getting my courage to go ahead and get my home kitchen licensed. I've gotten to the point that I need to be able to charge for cakes but I can't afford renting space.

Does anyone who has recently had their home kitchen licensed/inspected have any advice on where to begin the process and what other items I need to get started? (insurances etc).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

4 replies
Deb_ Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,

Your first step should be to contact your local HD and they will point you in the right direction. Each county may have their own requirements so I don't want to give you any false information.

Once you know exactly what is needed in your kitchen, then you'll go ahead and schedule an inspection. In my county I also had to submit my recipes for approval, since I can't sell perishable baked goods, i.e. cream pies, mousses, cheesecakes, etc....basically anything that needs refrigeration.

I have well water so I also had to have that tested.

After I passed inspection and got licensed, I searched for business insurance.....I used MetLife because we have our homeowners and life insurance with them so I received a multi-policy discount.

Good luck....it's a long process, but it's not difficult and it's definitely worth it.

Mike1394 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 5

The very first place to start is your local building/zoning inspector to see if you can have a business in your residence. Then off to your HD, and AG

Mike

Deb_ Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:27am
post #4 of 5

Good point Mike....I assumed she knew the answer to that already! We all know what can happen when we assume icon_razz.gif

steffb Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your help! I know there is a lady the next street over that has a hair salon business out of her house, so maybe that will be in my favor. I am hoping to get to the Zoning, HD this week to see what is possible. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%