Any Tips On Making 'tissue Paper'?

Decorating By BlackFlour Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 3:58pm by juleebug

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:13am
post #1 of 7

I'm going to make a 'gift box' looking cake, and really like the ones that have the tissue looking fondant coming out of the box underneath the lid! Any tips you can give on how to make it so realistic? TIA! I can't wait to make it! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:32am
post #2 of 7

super easy - roll gumpaste or gumpaste/fondant (50/50 mixture) out super thin then fold and wrinkle as needed. Support your "wrinkles" with cosmetic sponges (my favorite) or wadded up pieces of plastic wrap. Think in advance on how wide/long (and angles) you need it to stick out of your box. I would do this at least a few days in advance to be safe. Hope this helps at least a little.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:44am
post #3 of 7

If you use gumpaste you can roll it thinner. Or you can add tylose to your fondant. I used about 75% gumpaste. I didn't roll uniform pieces, I just cut strips & then cut them into rectangles. Put a little water or "glue" of your choice on the box, scrunch up the "tissue" as you go around the box. I did 2 layers in most places, 3 in some spots to give it more dimension

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 7

As the above posters say - roll out gumpaste or the blend as THIN as you can. I then shape it kind of how I want it to be and set it in a (CLEANED) egg carton to hold it upright while it dries some. Then put it on the cake - that way it will hold it's shape nicely.

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 7

Awesome! Never thought of using cosmetic sponges!! I'll give it a shot! Thanks everyone!!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 7

the sponge idea I caught from watching Ron Ben Israel on a show once with his flowers. You can cut them very small too to fit in between petals...just learned that this year. I once left some in my pocket that got washed...surprisingly they came out fine! Hee Hee!
Whenever I watch shows I first watch the show (I always DVR them) and then I watch it again not watching the people but stare at the backgrounds and work areas - you would be so surprised at how much info you can pick up on tools, supplies, etc. For instance I've mentioned using Everclear (b/c of its high alcohol content) for a long time here on CC as a glue when working with fondant / gumpaste, I watched the latest Cake Boss and there it was...big ole bottle of Everclear.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 7

Cosmetic sponges... great idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%