Google Will Find It For You!

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 9:09pm by tony66

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:54am
post #31 of 54

Thanks for the tip. I google everything else didn't think to just add cake central cool icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:03am
post #32 of 54

Just to add something, in all seriousness, if you go to Google and click on 'advanced search' a new window will pop up where you can input all of your search words. Near the bottom of the screen is a field for a website name to search within, and there you would type cakecentral.com.

The annoying thing about the search function here is sometimes when you press the back button on your browser you get a 'page cannot be found' message. icon_mad.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:08am
post #33 of 54

COOL!

Jen icon_smile.gif

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:50am
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng1482

I just gotta chime in here. What is with people starting threads like "What do you think about ...?" or "How do I make a ....?" Why cant they finish their thought in the subject line? I think people would be more willing to help if they knew the topic. I hate opening threads I have no idea how to answer or no interest in. Sorry - just had to voice that pet peeve.

I used to be guilty as charged, til our queen indy pm'ed me and suggestedd that maybe i would get a quicker response if i actually hinted to the question/topic in the subject, and it's so true!! I realized then how annoying it is.

I also hate when people post one question, three times (you will see all of them on the home page at once!)

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:37am
post #35 of 54

My biggest hate are those people who ask how the health regulations and laws are in their area.
If it were me needing to know something that important, I would call the health office or government office or whatever they are called around the world.
I mean, what do you say if the authorities come knocking and you are not following regulations, "But someone on CC told me this was all right..." icon_cry.gif ???

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:42am
post #36 of 54

Well as far as me and my looney arse questions are concerned (the majority of my posts are just me complaining about annoying people anyways), I know I can find the answer on Google but sometimes I like to get opinions and advice , something Google does'nt give you.
Some questions can be answered by Google but some need good old fashioned real people.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:52pm
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Quote:

Why I don't Google as often as I should, well it's because I like the community of CC. I find it informative, supportive and honest. It has become a comfort zone

Quote:
Quote:

I know I can find the answer on Google but sometimes I like to get opinions and advice , something Google does'nt give you.
Some questions can be answered by Google but some need good old fashioned real people.

I lean towards these two......and I am guilty also. I WANT to hear the responses of those I know and trust here. I know there are people who are new and don't know the search feature (WHEN it works) so I don't mind helping out. I personally NEVER KNEW that google stuff until recently - and even though I did google some info I was looking for recently, I still couldn't get the info I really wanted - so I posted on CC for it.
I still think of CC first when I want to know something cake related.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:55pm
post #38 of 54

I think it's a good thing for people to ask opionions if they are unsure about something, BUT what I don't like is when they ask, "What do you think of this cake. People say I should start selling them". And you want to give them an honest answer, but that's not what they want to hear, they want compliments and told "Yes, it's good enough to be sold" when it really isnt. Sure, your family & friends are impressed, they didn't know you could do cakes anyway & they certainly can't do it. Of course their gonna give you compliments.But I DO NOT think it's fair to take somone's money, when you know your skills are up to par. ANd let me not get started on the business forum. All those at home bakers, acting like at home bakers, instead of professionals, cause they are at home. It makes the rest of us look bad...but I guess I'm just one the meanest & rudest persons on here.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:21pm
post #39 of 54

I have a quick cake question about whether I should freeze or refrigerate a Red Velvet cake I will be making for this Friday. I also need help deciding what I should charge for it and if anyone has a good recipe, I NEED IT NOW! icon_twisted.gif

roniriv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roniriv Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:27pm
post #40 of 54

I AM also very new to cc and yes my first and only question was asked a zillion times...I soon came to see. I too came to this site from Google and am forever grateful. I sit till my behind is numb reading,reading and reading more. I thank all of you for your repeat answers and advice and a I am very thankful there are people willing to take the time to contribute...icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:36pm
post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Quote:
Quote:

Why I don't Google as often as I should, well it's because I like the community of CC. I find it informative, supportive and honest. It has become a comfort zone

Quote:
Quote:

I know I can find the answer on Google but sometimes I like to get opinions and advice , something Google does'nt give you.

I lean towards these two......and I am guilty also. I WANT to hear the responses of those I know and trust here. I know there are people who are new and don't know the search feature (WHEN it works) so I don't mind helping out. I personally NEVER KNEW that google stuff until recently - and even though I did google some info I was looking for recently, I still couldn't get the info I really wanted - so I posted on CC for it.
I still think of CC first when I want to know something cake related.

I totally don't mind answering things and helping people out because there was a time when I too was in their shoes. My biggest frustration is when someone askes how to do a FBCT (as an example) and three posts below there is another post on FBCT, and if you go a page back (doesn't require search) is another post on FBCT. It is like people really don't make an effort to look on their own or read another posts that might be related on the same page.

I'm all for opinion and suggestions. I often learn things by reading others reply. It just frustrates me that there are some really simple easy to find answer that people just don't make an effort to look for them selves. Instead of someone posting I found several totorials on how to do xyz what do you think is the best way, people will post I need a totorial on xyz, then get all bumpy when someone hasn't answered them in the time frame they think they should have.

We all have made a post like these, I'm sure I have asked questions that I could google at some point too. I think for me it is the repeaters that do it. Or when the site is down and how everyone freaks out cause no one knows how to find what they need with out the site. I just think we get too dependant on it sometimes. I've also seen people come here with will this work, when they could have easily just tried it out and knew the answer in the time it takes to post and wait for answers.

I've been around messages boards long enough to know that this is just a part of how things are. The same questions that were asked last week, this week, a month from now and a year from now. Most of the same questions were asked 5 years ago and will be asked still in another 5 years.

I know this, but it still gets to me every now and then. icon_smile.gif

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:38pm
post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by roniriv

I AM also very new to cc and yes my first and only question was asked a zillion times...I soon came to see. I too came to this site from Google and am forever grateful. I sit till my behind is numb reading,reading and reading more. I thank all of you for your repeat answers and advice and a I am very thankful there are people willing to take the time to contribute...icon_smile.gif

what roniriv said.

i've been baking for years and didn't start decorating until recently and i'm pushing 60.

i may ask a question about something that's been answered before but i have a bad memory because i'm old.

Loucinda Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:45pm
post #43 of 54

I have found the easiest way to avoid getting aggitated is to just not open the ones that I find annoying. thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:48pm
post #44 of 54

Everyone here was a newbie at some point! And even if I know the basics of something, I still like hearing what others may have to say about how they might do it! icon_smile.gif

I still go by my PP - if it looks like a post that may annoy you and not be one you are willing to answer, just don't open it. Easy and simple. icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm
post #45 of 54

I think Jan's thread/collection of "everything you need to know about...." shouldn't just be a sticky, it should be a permanent addition to the little box on the home page. icon_biggrin.gif I know there's stuff in there I could refer to often as well.

Loucinda Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:53pm
post #46 of 54

I second that one. JanH is always spot on with her help on here.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:29pm
post #47 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

I have a quick cake question about whether I should freeze or refrigerate a Red Velvet cake I will be making for this Friday. I also need help deciding what I should charge for it and if anyone has a good recipe, I NEED IT NOW! icon_twisted.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

actually this is awesome info about the google advanced search, thanks!!

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:14pm
post #48 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

icon_biggrin.gif
URGENT HELP NEED ASAP EMERGENCY! I tried posting my questions in the other forum but no one responded, so now I'm posting it here in the Cookies Forum!!!!!!!!

What should I charge for my cake? I need a good recipe. I decided not to freeze it so I'm just going to put it in the refrigerator because it's 105 degrees out! But the cake will have fondant on it and I heard you're not supposed to refrigerate fondant! Will it be ok if I refrigerate my cake with the fondant on it or should I not refrigerate it or should I just refrigerate the cake without the fondant on it and then put the fondant on it later after I take it out of the refrigerator? And I need a recipe for SMBC! What is it? How do you make it? Does it crust? Does it taste good? Will it work with the fondant? Does it have to be refrigerated? This cake is due in 2 hours! Please help!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:16pm
post #49 of 54

LOLOLOLOLOL! Snowboarder you always crack me up on this site!

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:18pm
post #50 of 54

Ha! The feeling is mutual, my fellow bay area-er. icon_biggrin.gif

I've been saving the refrigerated fondant and SMBC questions for just the right thread. Thanks _Jamie_!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:34pm
post #51 of 54

LOLOLOLOLOL....perfect!

tony66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony66 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:45pm
post #52 of 54

Noob here and from t'other side o' water (in my Yorkshire accent icon_lol.gif )

I keep trying the search function here and for the galleries it works great icon_biggrin.gif

Trying to find threads though, that sends me icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
I shows there are threads but when I click on them I just get error 404 icon_cry.gif

Not moaned about it as the site's due for an upgrade so I'm just hoping the search does improve, till then I'll give google a good bashing icon_lol.gif thanks for the tip icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:52pm
post #53 of 54

Don't feel bad Tony - it doesn't work for a lot of us oldtimers here either - if you can't find what you are looking for -ask away!! (there are still some who don't mind answering) icon_wink.gif

tony66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony66 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:09pm
post #54 of 54

Thanks Loucinda, glad it just not me icon_smile.gif I'll be searching away tomorow.....via google icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%