Can You Mix Passionfruit Puree With Toffee?

Decorating By Apple646 Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 4:20pm by -K8memphis

Apple646 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apple646 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a buttercake with passionfruit icing.
To decorate the top or edges, I was thinking toffee. Is it possible to mix passionfruit pulp or puree with the toffee before setting?
I've never had much experience with toffee so I'm unsure.

Any help would be great!

icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 5

why mix it? If you are going for the gourmet look on the cake (I'm not sure if you are or not)....you could just take the toffee bits and pat it on the sides of the cake.. you know like you do shaved chocolate.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 5

It might just be me - but I don't think I would like the taste of those two mixed together. But I am a picky eater.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 5

which might be a good idea if it was just on the outside of the cake (patted) then if someone doesnt like the toffee then they can scrape it off (in case Apple is set on wanting to try this combo).

I love the idea of using/mixing new flavors together...although I would have to say I am not sure I am on the new bandwagon of chocolate and bacon.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 5

Everytime I read the title of this thread I think it might not taste good--but I got to attend five days of classes at the World Pastry Forum in Nashville--oh my--the places we went flavor-wise--with all manner of desserts and ice creams and chocolates, entremets, bonbons, yada yada yada. Crazy sounding stuff--stuff I'd never even heard of before or since. And it was all fabulous!!!!

Now as far as combining it to make it work as a filling--you just gotta experiment.

If I was trying it I'd use passion fruit flavor I think to make the toffee. I just don't know how the toffee would turn out with the fruit in it. Amoretti's or I'd cook the fruit down down down down down so that just a touch of it is super charged with flavor and put that in the toffee.

So I think it would be possible to mix cooked down fruit puree with toffee before you cook the toffee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%