Anyone Wants To Join My Christmas Basket Project???

Decorating By vagostino Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 6:06pm by chas21

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 12:36pm
post #241 of 340

I have 3 different cookie doughs in the dreezer several "logs" of each waiting to be sliced and baked. I have all my ingredients bought and stored in big plastic boxes with lids stacked in the dining room. Each night next week I will be making another batch of dough after work and making the balls for my rum pudding truffle things and freezing them as well as a batch of cookie dough truffleee things i saw on the food network website this morning. This list seems to be growing but I dont have any kids around and the baskets will all be delivered in the few days before christmas Im only making for family and friends so thats good. I finish work on the 16th so i plan to hit the kitchen with avengance. Hope everyone is doing well and all is going to plan. Han xx

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:58pm
post #242 of 340

so i got all the stuff i need (so far lol). anyone know how far ahead i can bake biscotti? found a recipe for a double choc mocha walnut biscotti..sounded so good but nowhere on the recipe did it say how long it would keep...anyone? TIA!

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 12:49am
post #243 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjess819

so i got all the stuff i need (so far lol). anyone know how far ahead i can bake biscotti? found a recipe for a double choc mocha walnut biscotti..sounded so good but nowhere on the recipe did it say how long it would keep...anyone? TIA!

You could probably freeze it. The recipe I used can be frozen up to 3 months.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 1:03am
post #244 of 340

KKristy said biscotti can be stored for months in airtight container. Makes sense that it would last as it is a really dry cookie.

chefjess819 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:01am
post #245 of 340

awesome. i wanted to see if i could go ahead and make it tommorrow since next weekend, i have a wedding to go to, a family reunion to bake a cake for and go to (same day 2 hrs after the wedding), and a wedding cake to have ready for sunday evening. soooo...my baking started tonight and i have to say that my peppermint bark hearts turned out so cute!!! i took a sharp knife and trimmed the drips off of the front of the candy canes to make them look more uniform. again..will post pics when i remember. lol.

Kavrena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavrena Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:25am
post #246 of 340

I went out last night and got most of my supplies. I am needing to head to Michael's so I can use the 15% off coupon, but it is 10 Degrees outside. After my daughter is in bed I just might go. LOL. I found serving platers to use instead of baskets at the Dollar Tree. I will use the plastic basket covers to wrap them. The covers came in a pack of three with the to/from tags and ribbon. thumbs_up.gif . I will start making up doughs and maybe start putting some things together tomorrow.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:50pm
post #247 of 340

I got most of my basket supplies at the Dollar Tree. I've made some cake truffles (not dipped), dough for M&M cookies, choc. covered cherry cookies (baked & frozen), rainbow cookies are setting in fridge and need to be coated in choc., sugar cookies are ready to decorate. Today I plan to make biscotti, finish the rainbow cookies, bake & freeze the M&M cookies and make a batch of RI to decorate the sugar cookies tomorrow (6 of us are getting together for a cookies decorating party). Oh, and clean up and get organized for the decorating party. Realistically, with 4 kids, 2 of which are a newborn and very active toddler, I'll be happy to get half of that done.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:12pm
post #248 of 340

Truffleshuffle- I didn't worry about refrigeration. I used regular bc for the mint and Nutella for the hazelnut ones. They are both shelf stable. Obviously I didn't worry about the Kahlua ones because they preserve themselves icon_smile.gif lol. The only time I would worry about refrigeration is if I was using a cream cheese based icing or another temperature sensative filling as a binder.

Good luck and have fun coming up with your combos! icon_smile.gif

FullHouse- sounds like you've got a busy day ahead of you-good luck!

cindycraig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycraig Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:42pm
post #249 of 340

I know you all are working like crazy to get your goodies ready, and I wanted to tell you about a 45-second fudge recipe that I got at a Pampered Chef party--- just in case you need a quickie to help fill your baskets. (You all may already know this but I was amazed) Any flavor of baking chips + 1 can of any flavor ready-to-spread frosting--- microwave for 45 seconds and stir until smooth. Pour into 9x9 dish and let set up before cutting into squares. (line with buttered parchment) Its so smoooooth and you can make many flavor combos. I used chocolate frosting and Andes mint chips this weekend and also coconut-pecan frosting and chocolate chips. Peanut butter/chocolate is great too. So...it's not gourmet, but its great and EASY! Merry Christmas!!

chefjess819 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm
post #250 of 340

well, i got my biscotti made yesterday, i will half-dip them in choc right before packaging them. got my cookie doughs made up for my sugar cookies, pinwheels, checkerboard cookies, and chocolate snowballs. now to bake this afternoon. then i will be fudging the rest of the week. lol. another good (cheap) packaging idea is the shirt boxes at wal mart. i got a pkg of 10 for $3. thumbs_up.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 6:32pm
post #251 of 340

I'm so behind it's not even funny icon_sad.gif I've only gotten the fudge, one batch of marshmallows, and one kind of cookie made. Tonight and tomorrow are my last chances to get anything more done for my tins I'm mailing. The rest of the week is booked up, and I'd rather send a small amount of fresh candy and batch of cookies than a variety of stale cookies and candy. >_<

I got my Sally Anns made over the weekend but that's it. I just hope the icing is dry or I won't even have cookies to send! It's been humid this weekend and it's been raining all morning. Never fails that whenever I make anything which needs to air dry we suddenly get rain in the desert. Happened to me last year when I made meringues. I swear the clouds formed up the moment the whisk touched the egg whites in the KA! Curse you Murphy and your annoying Laws!

LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 6:37pm
post #252 of 340

I'm a little behing too. I made my shortbread...then we ate them! I know, I know. I am defeating the purpose. I got to put the breaks on the biscotti, cause i see those starting to disappear as we.. So, I got to add the shortbread to this week, as well as the lemon poppyseed cookies. I still need to buy a couple of more things as well. I WILL be on track by the end of the week. I'm gonna start my rocky roads tonight.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 6:45pm
post #253 of 340

Well I got nothing else done either!!!! I think I'm going to be sick soon....not feeling so well today....that will really get me off schedule!
this is why we need this thread! to encourage each other!!!!

Kavrena Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 6:50pm
post #254 of 340

LOL, the hardest part about baking this early is that everything starts to disappear.
Today I "plan" to do biscotti and make dough for the cookies and possibly measure out all dry ingredients for everything else. Got a "sick" husband at home so I doubt anything will really get done today.

LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 6:56pm
post #255 of 340

Vagostino THANK YOU for starting this thread. I'm sure I'm not the only one who really appreciates you doing this. It's really helped me to stay on track. Last year, not only did I have nothing done this time of year, I still wouldn't even have my list! LOL! This was a great idea and remember to start it every year. You know none of are leaving C.C., so we'll be here next year! icon_lol.gif

CeeTee Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:02pm
post #256 of 340

I second that! If it wasn't for this thread and the reminders popping into my email I know I'd be even further behind. Last year I was super-organized and on top of everything but this year it's been the opposite.

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:06pm
post #257 of 340

I made the NFSC dough on Tuesday last week and put it in the fridge instead of the freezer...AHHH!!! Is the dough still good to use today or should I make a new batch?

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:59pm
post #258 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawdroppingCakes

I made the NFSC dough on Tuesday last week and put it in the fridge instead of the freezer...AHHH!!! Is the dough still good to use today or should I make a new batch?

It is still good, I made my dough, NFSC dough, 2 months ago for a baby shower, and had it in the fridge for a week, and it still tasted great.

Uniqueask Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 12:07am
post #259 of 340

I have not been getting any notices either, but here I am, better late than never, and I really don't have to start baking till next week. School is not out until sept 23 rd, here. Here is my list.

Molasses Spice Cookies.
Sugar Cookies.
Finished Nut Logs.
Peanut Butter Cookies.
Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Melt In Your Mouth Christmas Marbles.
Cake Balls.
Truffles
Spritz
Intense Mint Chocolate Brownies.
Pineapple Coconut Cresents.
Brown sugar Shortbread.
and Hot Chocolate Cookies.

And can someone, Please, Please give me a good truffle recipe. Thank You.

Edited to add If I have more time, I will make some Candy.

chefjess819 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:35am
post #260 of 340

@uniqueask~~
can i ask what your Melt In Your Mouth Christmas Marbles are? they sound interesting. and can i get the recipe? icon_lol.gif

Uniqueask Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:13pm
post #261 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjess819

@uniqueask~~
can i ask what your Melt In Your Mouth Christmas Marbles are? they sound interesting. and can i get the recipe? icon_lol.gif

I forgot to say that, That I have not made any of these recipies, myself, my daughter made truffles a while back and I would lik to have a good recipe that you guys use, but a couple of my friends made some of these recipes, and they said they were good. so I am going to try them this year.

MELT IN YOUR MOUTH CHRISTMAS MARBLES.
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter softened
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup minus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Red and green food coloring

1. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

2. Beat butter and powdered sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla until well blended. Gradually add flour and salt, beating after each addition.

3. Transfer half of the dough to medium bowl; add red food coloring beating until well blended and desired shade is reached. Add green food coloring to remaning dough half, beating until well blended and desired shade is reached.

4. For each marble, shape 1/2 teaspoon of each color dough into one ball; place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheets 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

TIP: To get the brightest colors, tint the dough with paste food coloring. Add a small amount of the paste with a toothpick, then stir well. gradually add more color until the dough reaches the desired shade.

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:00pm
post #262 of 340

I'm getting back on track! Woot, woot! party.gif Did my rocky roads last night and the gourmet one, TO DIE FOR! Finished a couple of cookies doughs and I think I'm good for today. Okay, so how is everyone else doing?

CeeTee Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:32pm
post #263 of 340

I finished up my Sally Anns, but I'm no further along today than I was Sunday. icon_sad.gif Gonna make one last valiant effort at getting the Cherry Jewel cookies and Brigadeiros done tonight, but that's gonna be it for the mailing tins. I need to get them in the mail ASAP, and I have a cake due this weekend I gotta get started on tomorrow.

Doesn't help that tonight is the semi-finals for So You Think You Can Dance so I *gotta* watch to see what happens! *spaz*

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:54pm
post #264 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycraig

I know you all are working like crazy to get your goodies ready, and I wanted to tell you about a 45-second fudge recipe that I got at a Pampered Chef party--- just in case you need a quickie to help fill your baskets. (You all may already know this but I was amazed) Any flavor of baking chips + 1 can of any flavor ready-to-spread frosting--- microwave for 45 seconds and stir until smooth. Pour into 9x9 dish and let set up before cutting into squares. (line with buttered parchment) Its so smoooooth and you can make many flavor combos. I used chocolate frosting and Andes mint chips this weekend and also coconut-pecan frosting and chocolate chips. Peanut butter/chocolate is great too. So...it's not gourmet, but its great and EASY! Merry Christmas!!

Can you tell me what size bag of baking chips to use? I'm assuming not the tiny bags and not the big jumbo bag....but the middle "normal" size bag? I can't remember the ounces on that one.....

thanks - I just may give this a whirl - seems easy enough!

chefjess819 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:56pm
post #265 of 340

i have 5 boxes that are going to be delivered this weekend, so i'm having to make everything this week. i'm packaging as i make the stuff, so that will be one more thing out of my way when i go to box everything up. i've got my pinwheel cookies (another batch to be made for cookie pops for the kids at a family reunion), checkerboard cookies, chocolate snowballs, double choc mocha walnut biscotti, marshmallow snowmen, and peppermint bark hearts finished. going to make some NFSC tonight along with raspberry/choc fudge and peanut butter fudge. possibly some plain choc fudge, but not sure yet. see how it goes. how bout everyone else?

CeeTee Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:50am
post #266 of 340

I just got done making about a billion dozen cherry Christmas Jewel cookies. I modified the recipe from the original and they turned out super yummy. I'll post it in the morning when I'm not falling over ded from tiredness.

I do have to say that Log Cabin cherry baking chips are my new must-have holiday staple. I'm gonna buy out all that I can get from Wal-Mart tomorrow!

Kavrena Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:41pm
post #267 of 340

I am a little behind, but I had to put a hault to everything to make a cake for my husband's bday celebration this weekend and Christmas shopping. I thank you too, Vagostino, for starting this thread. With out it I would not have even been close to starting yet. On Sunday I [plan to get back on track...hopefully!!

vagostino Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:07pm
post #268 of 340

Thanks girls....I'm glad the thread is helping!

I just popped in to tell you that I'm sick! REALLY sick! I have "the" flu....102 fever, chills, body aches....and other less glamorous symptoms.
It's been going on for 3 days with no sign of slowing down. What do I do??
I have the gourmet rocky road, pistachio biscotti, covered oreos and sugar cookie dough made and that's it.
I cannot touch any food untill I'm 24 hrs fever free...and who knows how I'll feel by then.
Plus, I forgot i have to bake 5 dozen cookies for the school for monday (they are already emailing me about it). so i though i can give them the biscotti.
If so then I don;t even have those.
I already have the ingredients purchased....do you have any ideas of easy and filling cookies that I can quickly bake to fill the baskets?
Ugh....I'll check back from my phone as soon as my fever gets better....

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:09pm
post #269 of 340

LISTEN!!! (Did I get your attention icon_wink.gif ) To heck with those cookies, you need to get better. PERIOD. Unless your telling me this is a paid order, then I suggest you e-mail them that you can't do it OR go buy some cookies. You are too sick to make them right now.

vagostino Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:14pm
post #270 of 340

I was thinking giving them the pistachio biscotti that I have already made for my baskets and then, next week when I'm better re-bake cookies for my baskets.
that's why i need quick and easy cookie recipes to fill my personal baskets.

the school cookies I "have" to do. I'm the only baker in the school, and is for a teacher luncheon and I already commited to 5 dozen. those are done, but if I give them then I have even less for my baskets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%