Anyone Wants To Join My Christmas Basket Project???

Decorating By vagostino Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 6:06pm by chas21

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 340

I'm a procrastinator, that's why I never do christmas baskets....cause I always remember I want to do it a day before christmas.
So I was thinking, what if we form a group and challenge ourselves to bake one item for our baskets every week or every couple of days? (the ones that can be frozen or non perishable get done first).
We can come up with one item every week and then bake it at the end and so on...till we have a pretty good selection.
That way is more fun and we are accountable for getting it done.

What do you think??

339 replies
mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 340

Sounds good. It's a good way to get ideas from other bakers as to what they are putting in their baskets.

Josie_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Josie_girl Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 340

I'm in. I do baskets every year and it always seems that I end up waiting until the last minute to start also. LOL!

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 340

I have never done a christmas basket, so who do y'all give them to. Family as a gift or donate to local group? Just curious, sounds like fun.

vagostino Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 340

Yayy!! great!
I did start another thread a while ago about what to include in it, and we got great ideas! (what would you include in an awesome christmas basket)
But then I didn;t even know where to start and get it done, that's why I had this idea.

Veronica720: I've never made one but i give my cookie tins to the teachers and anyone that was specially kind that year (my backyard burgers drive thru guy got one last year!). I don;t give them to family since they always eat my stuff at home anyways.

We can come up with a list of things to make and the order, so we start with stuff that is shelf stable or freezable, and end with the freshest.
Also we need a due date to be done.

I'm thinking we can do categories like: truffles, chocolate covered oreos, decorated cookies, breads/pastires and candies or something. that way we can either all do the same recipe or everyone can choose what they are making out of that category...

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 340

I give baskets to friends and family as their present.

Josie_girl Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 340

I always give mine to family and friends. They love them. I usually do chocolate covered pretzels, cookies and fudge. This year I want to add cakeballs and mini pecan pound cakes to the list. Any new ideas would be appreciated too.

vagostino Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 340

I'm with you Josie, I wanted to do Chocolate covered oreos or pretzels, Chocolate covered marshmallows, A decorated cookie, some kind of cake ball or truffle, and some kind of mini loaf or pound cake.
MAybe we can add some brittle, or pepermint bark? (something that we just mix, let dry and break into pieces)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 340

I'd suggest everyone come up with their own list of what they are going to do and their timeframe to do it in. Then everyone else can support, encourage and ask if they are staying up to task. icon_smile.gif

Every year I think about doing something like this and never get around to it. I may join in, just have to see how things are going.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 340

Here's a suggestion - orange, cranberry & pecan bark.
I just used some orange flavoring along w/about 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped zest; some craisins and pecans in melted white chocolate.
It was a winnericon_smile.gif

vagostino Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:55pm
post #11 of 340

ohhh the pecan bark is a winner!! I'll add that for sure.

Well girls let's see if anyone else wants to join and then maybe we can come up with a list of things to make and a timeline.

Like texasSugar said, everyone can come up with their own list but If maybe we can just have categories in order of production that'll help us get organizes.

Maybe something like this:

week 1: truffles/chocolate covered items
week 2: pound cakes/loafs etc.
week 3: sugar cookies
week 4: misc, or candy etc...

veronica720 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I'd suggest everyone come up with their own list of what they are going to do and their timeframe to do it in. Then everyone else can support, encourage and ask if they are staying up to task. icon_smile.gif

Every year I think about doing something like this and never get around to it. I may join in, just have to see how things are going.

I will be the first to admit that I am lazy and unless I have a group schedule I may not do it. So if there is anyone that wants to make all the same things each week or whatever I am for that.

Being a SAHM I have plenty of time to do everything, so I'm ready to plan.

vagostino Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:29am
post #13 of 340

We can do that, I just don't want people not to do it because it's too strict.
We can come up with a list and people can do as much or as little or do variations if they like.
I would say let's try to start next monday with at least a list of items and a timeline so we can get ingredients and supplies (like baskets, ribbon, containers etc) . That'll give us 3 weeks but keep in mind that thanksgiving is in the middle too!

veronica720 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:34am
post #14 of 340

I'm getting exciting already.

I didn't mean for everyone to do the same thing. Cause I can see what you mean about being to strict or something, but if there is anyone that would like to as a group type thing I will join that group....lol.

So i guess now I need to find different types of things to add to the list.....mmm

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:54am
post #15 of 340

I will be a lead cheerleader for you guys!! Especially since I can't join in this year. I do baskets for friends, neighbors & teachers and that is our family gift to them. Everyone really loves them every year and that makes the work of putting them together so worthwhile! So if you're thinking about it, absolutely do them thumbs_up.gif

There are outstanding ideas for stuff to include in vagostino's other thread http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=659301&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

I bought all of my baskets, ribbon, filler and cellophane basket bags from the $ store. I made all of the treats over a week, and then put them all together assembly line style one night and delivered them the next day.

Basket makers-- make your list and gather your supplies, go team, go!! Here are a few pics every surface in my kitchen was covered, please excuse my bows, I stink at them & I was super tired by bow time icon_smile.gif
LL
LL
LL

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:09am
post #16 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica720

I will be the first to admit that I am lazy and unless I have a group schedule I may not do it. So if there is anyone that wants to make all the same things each week or whatever I am for that.

Being a SAHM I have plenty of time to do everything, so I'm ready to plan.

This would be me too, lol. I would love to do baskets, but I never get around to it. If there was a schedule we were supposed to stick to, I'd be more likely to do it this year. icon_lol.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:11am
post #17 of 340

My husband and I were talking about putting together some baskets for Christmas presents for a few family members. I'll make a list in the next few days and get to work at the first of the month icon_smile.gif

Great idea!

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:19am
post #18 of 340

count me in!! I ALWAYS wait til the nite before, and go "hey, I have an idea" then my dh gets cranky. Maybe,...just maybe...this year I'll get my butt in gear.

So, count me in...I'm anxious.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:05am
post #19 of 340

Hmmm...I don't usually make up a set schedule. I just pick something from my list and bake it, then pick something else and so on. I will check in and report on my progress.

I didn't get around to starting the mince and fruitcakes yet againt today, I am still working on the huge order for my friend's business opening (8 dozen brownie bites--2 dozen each of 4 flavors: fudge, peanut butter, raspberry, and mocha--and 200 2" sugar cookies iced with rolled buttercream and then decorated w/ company insignia). I've finished the brownie bites and all the cookies are baked and iced. Half have the insiginia on them and I'm taking a quick break before tackling the rest of the cookies.

Tomorrow I'll be cooking all day again, but this time for my church's Wednesday night supper. Hopefully I'll get to the mince and fruitcake between Thurs and Fri.

vagostino Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:28pm
post #20 of 340

thanks Andpotts for your support!!!

everyone that wants to play get supplies this week and be ready!
Also, please post a list of what you want to make and then we can agree on a general list and schedule (you can follow that or change it)
My list looks like this so far:

Chocolate covered marshmallows
choc covered pretzel rods
choc covered oreos
truffles (not sure what kind)
mini pund cakes (not sure either what kind)
the orange cranberry bark posted here
Decorated sugar cookies
Biscotti
another cookie

Josie_girl Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:15pm
post #21 of 340

Ok...here's my list...so far anyway...I'm always open to new suggestions and ideas.

Chocolate dipped pretzel rods
Chocolate covered pretzels
Chocolate dipped Nutter Butter Cookies
Truffles
Sugar Cookies
Oatmeal - Peanut Butter cookies
Chocolate Chip Pecan cookies
mini Pecan Pound cakes

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:32pm
post #22 of 340

Oh Man! I would love to join in! I've been thinking instead of giving ugly sweaters and things my family doesn't need, I would make edible gifts...this would be perfect! I'm also thinking of assembling a dinner basket, that would include an entree recipe (like lasagna or something) and all the ingredients to go with it...the only thing being they would have to be refridgerated! LOL!

I have a peanut/nut allergy in the house, so I'll have to adjust recipes accordingly, but will try to come up with a list this afternoon!

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:53pm
post #23 of 340

Oh! I'd like to be in on this too! I'm already getting my planning in order since I always start my baking projects the week after Thanksgiving.

My tenative list so far is:

Gingersnaps
Snickerdoodles
Butter Brickle toffee (has chocolate instead of nuts! Very yummers!)
White chocolate cherry shortbread
Fudge (diff. varieties)
Homemade Marshmallows (diff. flavors)
Decorated sugar cookies
Cinnamon and/or Pumpkin bread

But my list often changes depending on my moods and what I find on sale. icon_smile.gif

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm
post #24 of 340

Ok, so noone shoot me for asking this...but does anyone want to exchange/post recipes to go along with this?

veronica720 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:11pm
post #25 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

Ok, so noone shoot me for asking this...but does anyone want to exchange/post recipes to go along with this?

Bang!!......lol

I think that is a great idea. There is alot of things listed already that I have never made and would like to try. Everything sounds so delicious.

I will get my list together today as well.

vagostino Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:17pm
post #26 of 340

of course we can post recipes!
I think we can all choose what we make and what recipes we use etc.
I just din't want to make it too specific or rigid so everybody can participate at their own level.
I think it'll be great if we can come up with a master list and deadlines for each item kind of thing, and then we'll go from there!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:49am
post #27 of 340

Oh, I want to join! I'm off work tomorrow, so I'll try and go by the $ store for supplies. I usually wait til the last minute and they're sold out of the good stuff. And work on my list. For those of you making snickerdoodles, whenever I make them I double the batch and while I have them in the oven I roll extra dough, roll it in cinnimon, put a tray of them in the freezer, and in a ziplock freezer bag when they are frozen. Then whenever we feel like fresh baked cookies through the holidays all I have to do is pop them in the oven.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:28am
post #28 of 340

Janebrophy, I love it! Instead of ugly sweaters tasty treats! I'm in. I need motivation to be kept on scedule. I have started buyng some supplies...need much, much more. I have a question though, are we gonna do 2 schedules, baskets to be delivered before Christmas (I was thinking of teachers) and then for friends & family that we can get to Christmas week?

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:44am
post #29 of 340

We just finished a craft fair and I want to sell some baskets. I'll try to show a photo of my favorite baskets, they are called market trays, I think. Really cute.
We did:
dipped pretzel rods, mini cupcakes, fudge, dipped oreos, cake balls, dipped peanut butter balls, dipped rice crispie treats on a stick, we put our dipped marshmallows on a sucker stick too, they were really cute. We put each item in a small cellophane bag with a ribbon. I want to make pecan tarts, they are little, cute and yummy.
I'll post any recipes you're interested in.
j.

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:45am
post #30 of 340

Oh I want to play too ! I always make treat baskets for Christmas, but my planning is poor.
So far on my list: truffles or oreo cake balls, fudge ( not sure what kind yet), peppermint bark, white chocolate covered snack mix, marshmallow snowmen on a stick(very cute), mini bundt cake, and a few different cookies....
Now I just need to go and get baskets. ribbon, small containers and filler.
How do you store everything? I hate to make things too early - I have an unhealthy fear of things not tasting fresh, lol

** I make dog treats too...one year I put them in a dog treat container ( decorated with bones and it had the recipients dog's name on it)and included it in the basket...found out a few days later that my brother in law had eaten them by mistake LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%