Anyone Ever Have Pancreitis (Sp?) ?

Lounge By kakeladi Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm by Carson

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 18

I have just been diagnosed w/pancreitis icon_sad.gif
I still need more testing but..............I'm scared. Being totally alone I don't kn ow who will take care of my dog and other things when I'm in the hospital.
What should I expect if you have ever been thru it.....
From what little I read on the internet it is very serious and means hospitalization for at least a couple of day.
It could mean gallbladder surgery.

17 replies
beanbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beanbean Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 18

I have attached a copy of a sample of discharge instructions I give my patients when they are discharged from the ED. As it mentions, there are a variety of causes of pancreatitis. The treatment depends on the cause. Don't be too afraid. You may hear horror stories from people, but some cases are mild. Keep in mind that gallstone pancreatitis is different from pancreatitis caused by alcohol. Sometimes depending on the location of a gallstone, it may be removed by a procedure called an ERCP (endoscopic procedure where a scope is placed down your esophagus and retrieves a the stone from the common bile duct).

Deirdre

What is it? Pancreatitis (pan-kree-ah-TI-tis) occurs when the pancreas is irritated (inflamed). The pancreas is an organ that makes insulin. The pancreas also makes enzymes (digestive juices) that help your body to digest food. Pancreatitis may be a short-term problem that happens once. It may become a long-term problem that comes and goes over time.

What causes pancreatitis? Most pancreatitis is caused by drinking too much alcohol or having gallstones. Less common causes are certain medicines, an injury to the abdomen (belly), some procedures, and some viral infections.

What are the signs and symptoms of pancreatitis?

Severe (bad) pain that starts in the top of your abdomen and spreads to your back. This pain may be burning, stabbing, or aching and may last days or weeks.

Fever

Nausea (upset stomach) and vomiting (throwing up).

Swollen abdomen (belly).

Weight loss. You may lose weight without trying to.

How is pancreatitis diagnosed? Your caregiver will do a medical exam and will ask you questions. You will need to have blood drawn for tests. You may have tests done on your abdomen (belly) and pancreas. These may include ultrasound, CT scan, and x-rays. Caregivers will use test results to learn why you have pancreatitis and to help them plan your treatment.

How is pancreatitis treated?

You may need to stay in the hospital to be treated and to have more tests.

You may need a surgery or procedure to treat your pancreatitis.

Do not drink any alcohol. If you need help, contact the following organization for information on how to quit drinking alcohol:
◦Alcoholics Anonymous
Web Address: http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.

If your pancreatitis is caused by gallstones, you may need to eat a low fat diet.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 18

edited... oops ! seems we were typing at the same time icon_redface.gif

Don't PANIC !! stress makes it worse icon_biggrin.gif

Firstly, stop reading stuff on the internet - what you have to remember is that ANYONE can write ANYTHING on the internet - it doesn't have to be the truth and nobody actually takes off the "incorrect" stuff.
Heck... bit like CC !! hahahaha

I have not had pancreatitis, have a friend who has and her 2 adult children as well. She has "episodes" where her pancreas ... plays up.... think the generic term for pancreatitis is "inflamed pancreas" so it isn't BAD all the time. She has to watch what she eats... and soon learns... what NOT to eat.

The gallbladder is CLOSE to the pancreas and sometimes a blockage in the gallbladder can cause pancreatitis.

I can speak from experience with gallstones... had my gallbladder out last year - gallstone was size of bantam chicken egg! Keyhole surgery - day surgery (go in at 7am out by 4pm) had 5 puncture marks on tummy and bit sore for few days - but felt SO MUCH better after having it removed that little discomfort was worth it.

Direct any questions you might ahve at your doctor - keep asking questions until you are satisfied with the answer and feel that you fully understand what is being done, why it is being done and whether there is another way of doing what has to be done.

Do you have community support workers that might be able to assist you with your pooch and your aftercare?

Big hugs - things will get better thumbs_up.gif

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 18

Ohhhh......I'm so sorry. I can't believe you're so calmly writing here! I've had it, and thought I was going to die. Literally, die. Mine was caused from having gall bladder surgery, and then getting another stone stuck in the bile duct. It dislodged, so the gastro. Dr. didn't think it was THAT bad of a case, but honestly, I delivered all five of my children with no drugs, and I'd do that again in a heartbeat as opposed to have pancreatitis.

The gall bladder surgery (unless it's infected and you have to have an open surgery) was actually pretty mild; they give you some good pain meds. so as long as you take them on time instead of wait for the pain, you should be alright.

I need another surgery now in the same general area, but refusing to have it because there's a 20% chance of it actually causing pancreatitis.

I have a foster dog who has had pancreatitis twice, and it was very, very hard on her. I have no idea what foods you should be avoiding, but for her putting her on a raw diet was miraculous. Okay, so I'm really no help here! I highly doubt you're going to start eating raw meat! LOL but, I do know that we were told to avoid all grains with her, and fat is a big no-no. Other than that, I really just want to wish you the best of luck, because this is very serious and will be dealt with as such. I hope all goes well with your surgery; keep us all informed.

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:10am
post #5 of 18

I actually just had my gallbladder taken out a week and a half ago. Really, it's not bad at all. I would feel absolutely fine right now if the flu had not descended down upon our house 3 days after my surgery. I'm definitely going to watch my diet more and so far have been doing pretty good. Anyway, I ended up having surgery because I had a terrible gallstone attack and apparently had a stone stuck somewhere that was irritating my pancreas. I really hope you aren't in the same amount of pain that I was! Good luck with whatever happens!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:54am
post #6 of 18

I had my gallbladder out several years ago and have had nothing but pain since. If I had it to do over again I would not have done it. I have pain just like I did when I had my gallbladder. Went to a doctor in STL, and they told me it was sphincter of odi dysfunction, and about 30% of people who have their gallbladder out, seem to have it. I have to eat really low fat food or it really bothers me! Sometimes are worse than others. Not trying to discourage or scare anyone, just telling what my experience was.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 18

My husband's aunt who is 94 years old was brought to the hospital yesterday and was diagnosed with pancreatitis. Because of her age and diabetic problem they were not going to do surgery. Well today the said they were going to go in and open up a bile duc. They do not know if she will even wake up from the procedure.

This makes me so mad, she is 94, has severe osteoarthritis, diabities, asthma and her mind is not clear anymore. They should be calling in hospice but instead they are telling the family that they will put her through a procedure that she probably won't wake up from. I have a hard time understanding why some doctors try to give hope to family members when she suffers on a daily basis and will not get better.

Sorry for straying from the original question. This is just now happening in our family and I had to vent.

When I was pregnant with my son I had pancreatitis. I could not stop throwing up and they had to pump out my stomach. I lucked out by eating no fried foods, nothing highly seasoned and hardly any veggies. After delivering my son I got better without having surgery. If your gallbladder is involved, maybe you also need to change up your diet. I was told that anything that would potentially cause gas had to be eliminated from my diet. It felt like I had a knife sticking in my ribs and turning. Never had that type of pain before.

Good Luck and ask your doctors as many questions as you can until you fully understand what needs to be done to make you better.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 18

If I were close, I would take care of you and your dog but I'm in OK. I did have my gall baldder out years and years ago. Felt much better after. My dog hadPancreatitis. He was really sick until diagnosed. They put him on a strict diet (he loved it) and some meds. He was good as new real quick. I will be praying that all goes well for you.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:39am
post #9 of 18

I have had problems with Pancreatitis...not fun! Its horrible - in fact I was just in the hospital a couple weeks ago with another attack. I have a ERCP (scope) scheduled for Monday because the doctor feels there is a blockage (gallstone even though my gallbladder was removed 5 years ago.)

My first time with Pancreatitis was with my first ERCP about 6 months after my gallbladder surgery. I was still getting gallbladder attacks and they did the scope to find the cause. I guess while under sedation I was not cooperating and they had to insert the scope 4 times, which caused too much trama to my pancreas causing Pancreatitis. I now have to be careful, and just recently alcohol has become a problem (it hadn't been before and I rarely drink anyways.) I believe this last attack was from alcohol (first time I drank in 9 months!) but the doctor is not convinced since I don't usually drink anyways (Pancreatitis is common in alcoholics but not necessarily people who rarely drink.) They are thinking its a blockage, we'll see on Monday.

I am of course really scared because the last one caused such a huge problem...but I have little kids and need to make myself as healthy as possible for them.

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:17pm
post #10 of 18

I hope you feel better very soon. I don't have it but I know how it feels to be faced with surgery. It's scary. I have to agree with Diedre, talk to your doctor and ask questions until you are satisfied with the answers. If you don't get the answers you are looking for, it never hurts to get a second opinion. Oh - and get off the internet.

I was mis diagnosed for 5 yrs until I was lucky enough to find a doctor who had a clue what kind of pain I had what tests needed to be done to correctly diagnose. I ended up with mesenteric Escemia (NOT the common IBS) and had to undergo a double bypass.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 18

,,,,,,,husband's aunt who is 94.....has severe osteoarthritis, diabities, asthma and her mind is not clear anymore. They should be calling in hospice.......suffers on a daily basis and will not get better. .....

I am soooooo sorry to hear this icon_sad.gif I would be yelling and screaming for them to stop and forget it. I do NOT see prolonging life at all costs.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and good wishes. I have a Ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow. Yes, they think it's gallstones.
Yesterday I did good but today I hurt worse icon_sad.gif Just another 24 hrs and I'll know exactly what's going on (I hope).

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 8:21pm
post #12 of 18

Good Luck, I wish you the best!

kakeladi Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:44pm
post #13 of 18

UPDATE:

Thank you all for your prayers, good thoughts and wishes.
The dr called Fri night and told me to immediately go on a soft, bland diet - basically baby food, applesauce, and bananas with ZERO fat and to drink lots, and lots of water.
Well, I tried. Added some soft boiled egg & mashed potatoes along w/raw carrots and celery. I felt ok most of the day but around 3 I really got much worse. I really thought I'd have to go to the ER icon_sad.gif But I toughed it out and got thru the night. Today I feel better, but weak.
With zero fat, I haven't found on protein I can eat so I'm hungry - eating every 2 hrs icon_sad.gif 2 weeks of this is going to be a bit tough but the alternative isn't any fun either!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:04pm
post #14 of 18

Did you eat the whole eggs, or just the whites? When I was waiting for my gallbladder surgery and was on that lovely diet, I could eat the whites, but not the yolks, because of the high level of fat in the yolk.

kakeladi Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:28pm
post #15 of 18

I ate the whole egg. I asked if I could have soft boiled eggs and she said yes.

kakeladi Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:07pm
post #16 of 18

Uuuuggggg. My Dr wants me to see a Gastro dr but can't get in there until Dec 3 icon_sad.gif
That means another 10 days of starvation icon_smile.gif

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:07pm
post #17 of 18

I sure wish I knew a dr in your area. My gastroenterologist is at Vanderbilt and he is absolutely awesome!

My thoughts and prayers are with you. icon_smile.gif

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm
post #18 of 18

Going to a Gastro Doc is the best thing for you though! Wishing you the best of luck, take care.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%