How Well Do Candy Melts Hold Castle Turrets?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 3:13am by JenniferMI

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 12

I know I asked the same question last week, but I didn't get very many responses. Just checking to get more opinions. The turrets will be paper towel rolls covered in fondant. I'm not using a kit.

Any opinions or disaster stories? I had a horrible time using royal icing so I definitely won't be using it.

11 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 12

Candy melts will work if there isn't any buttercream near it.It will just cause it to slip and slide but if you are gluing a paper towel roll to say a ice cream cone then it should work.Royal is better though...

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 12

I used royal icing to glue mine down. I also used it to hold the fondant on the paper towel tubes. I cut the fondant to size then smeared a thin layer of royal on the back and then wrapped them. It worked great!

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 12

I just did some turrets with paper towel rolls and I didn't use anything to stick them to it. I did however use water to make sure the ends that met together were stuck together. I make sure the fondant is bigger than the length and fold in the fondant so it cant slip down.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 12

I always hold them in place with candy melts. My cakes were covered in bc with the plastic wilton castle kit. They held just fine.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 12

What is the holding point in question?

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 12

I used cones for my towers and turrets and held them in place with candy melts.

all4cake Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:37am
post #8 of 12

I made a castle this past weekend. The turrets were made of fondant/gumpaste formed around pvc tubing, using gum glue to adhere the ends together...removed after about 30 minutes then allowed to dry for a day and a half. The tops were made from same stuff but formed into cone shapes and rested over cone paper cups for about 30 minutes then allowed to dry for a few hours then glued onto a fondant/gumpaste disc. When the cylinder and the cone were both dry, I glued them together using royal icing. I used a round cutter to remove corners from cakes...iced cakes as usual...doweled and stacked the tiers....then, using buttercream, attached the turrets to the recesses at corners and piped along edges where cake and turrets met with more buttercream. The cake traveled approximately 10 miles with no movement of parts...the cylinders were hollow...

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I made a castle this past weekend. The turrets were made of fondant/gumpaste formed around pvc tubing, using gum glue to adhere the ends together...removed after about 30 minutes then allowed to dry for a day and a half. The tops were made from same stuff but formed into cone shapes and rested over cone paper cups for about 30 minutes then allowed to dry for a few hours then glued onto a fondant/gumpaste disc. When the cylinder and the cone were both dry, I glued them together using royal icing. I used a round cutter to remove corners from cakes...iced cakes as usual...doweled and stacked the tiers....then, using buttercream, attached the turrets to the recesses at corners and piped along edges where cake and turrets met with more buttercream. The cake traveled approximately 10 miles with no movement of parts...the cylinders were hollow...

So you're saying your turrets were attached to the board with buttercream????

all4cake Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:40am
post #10 of 12

nope...they were attached to the cake where I had cut recesses with the round cutter...an area of buttercream 'grass' locked in the bottom turrets keeping them in place on the board...lemme get my camera and upload a picture. It may not be the castle look you're trying to achieve...brb

all4cake Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:12am
post #11 of 12

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1519802

I cut the corners a bit larger than I should've, resulting in larger piping used. The cut corners were formed together(an afterthought) and had I planned it better could've been used for additional height...they formed a shape much like a four leaf clover.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:13am
post #12 of 12

Should work just fine.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%