Fondarific Vs. Satin Ice

Decorating By chouxchoux Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 12:22am by chouxchoux

chouxchoux Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 18

can i get opinions from those who have used both? i am wanting to get the easiest to work with; stretching, sticking, etc., and compare the price. thank you for your help.

17 replies
hollynme2 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:47am
post #2 of 18

IMHO---fondarific just plain tastes better. I've used Satin Ice, but don't like the taste and I'd rather have people like it--cause it costs too much to put it on a cake and have everyone peel it off and trash!!

Skirt Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:58am
post #3 of 18

Fondarific does taste better (like Starburst candies) but then you have the flavour of the fondant competing with the flavour of the cake. Orange tastes like orange so if you want to use it you need to take that into consideration...

wrightway777 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:02am
post #4 of 18

this topic has been discussed many times and Fondarific wins out every time (and no elephant skin like Satin Ice does)...contact them...they will send you samples so you can see for yourself. They make colored fondant too now that does not have the fruit flavors in them. And their white is superb. They told me that Ace of Cakes just switched out from Satin Ice to them back in August. If you saw the "Lost" episode that was using Fondarific and the crew talks about how they like it.

chouxchoux Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:05am
post #5 of 18

thank you very much, that has helped me make up my mind. thank you all for you time.

saberger Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:13am
post #6 of 18

Fondarific. I don't like the smell of Satin Ice or the taste of it. If I don't like it, then I can't give it to my customers.

Rincewind Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:15am
post #7 of 18

I don't have a lot of experience using fondant. I usually just use it for accents, but I have covered a few cakes with Satin Ice, and it was okay.

But- even though I've only used it for accents pieces, I couldn't believe how nice and easy Fondarific rolled out. I use the big Ateco mat and with the Fondarific I don't need any cornstarch or powdered sugar, which I do need with Satin Ice. I like the buttercream flavor a lot. I need to cover an entire cake with to really see how much better it is, but the taste is much better (though I don't think Satin Ice's taste is horrible).

icingimages Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 18

I have used both. Now, I only make "fake cakes" for displays since I run Icing Images, but I will tell you that the consistancy of Fondarific is much better then Satin Ice. With Satin Ice, there is no pre greasing the fondant mat. I also find that when I put an icing image on the Fondarific, it stays "greasier" (but its not really too greasy) with the image on it which allows it to be more plyable for bending. It also seems to be more forgiving. I get distracted a lot when I am making my cakes so when I leave and come back to it, it is still soft...longer.
I hope this helps.

Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 18

We use both. For displays and competitions, we use Satin Ice because it's cheaper. We also use Satin Ice if our clients want a marshmallow taste. If they want buttercream, vanilla, or chocoloate, then we use Fondarific.

Paul

diane706 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:38am
post #10 of 18

The buttercream Fondarific is my fav! I'll never use any other brand. It is pricey though.

saberger Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:22pm
post #11 of 18

Yeah, it's pricey. But I tell every client that they will like the taste of it and therefore not wasting money on something people won't eat. They seem to appreciate that. For display cakes, I actually use Wilton - it is cheaper.

chouxchoux Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:40pm
post #12 of 18

i've made mmf and i've added flavorings and the taste is very good, my problem is working with it. sometimes it is too soft and it also makes lots of those little bubbles. besides the taste, is fondarific better (easier) to work with?

Sweet_Guys Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:41am
post #13 of 18

For starters, it's pre-made...So, in our book, that makes it easier right there. It has a high elasticity so you can roll it out really thin thus using less. Also, if it tears, all you have to do is rub it together and smooth it out...It's very easy at self-healing.

Paul

chouxchoux Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:15am
post #14 of 18

paul...what a great point! i'm going to try to order some now, i've heard nothing but good things about it and some negative things one way or another about all the other brands. THANK YOOOOU!

BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:15am
post #15 of 18

HANDS DOWN Fondarific is the clear winner between the two as far as performance goes... It has the consistancy of a very smooth slick elastic silicone dough ... where as the satin ice has more of a sticky bread dough.
The taste of fondarific is much better too- whereas satin ice tastes a little gritty to me....
In the order of what I have used, this is the order in which I think it is the best:
1.Fondarific
2.Choco-Pan ( about the same price as fondarific)
3.Satin Ice
4. MMF
Some of my cakes have had a combination of all of the above depending on the application.
I usually preffer to COVER a cake with Fondarific (or choco-Pan ) although Fondarific is my first choice
but for covering 3-D figures that are very large ( like my 3-D Zombie that was almost 24 inches tall, not including the actual cake in which she was placed on) made of cereal treat, or small stuff like trim or detail stuff I can "get away with" using the cheaper fondants like MMF or satin ice ( I used black Satin Ice more than anything)
I have actually mixed 1 part MMF to 2 parts Fondarific and had EXCELLENT results..it was for a Veggie Tales cake and it was SMOOTH and crack / bubble free ( I was almost out of fondarific so thats why I mixed it)
I also use MMF or satin ice 50/50 with gumpaste sometimes for modeling figures.
So DEPENDING on the application of which you need the fondant, you can get away with using cheaper and less superior fondant....if the fondarific was so expensive, I was pretty much exclusively use it, but I only really use it "where it counts" because it is so expensive!

dstbni Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:33am
post #16 of 18

I just ordered samples of Fondarific and Satin Ice from "cakesupplies 4 u .com" (no spaces) and Choco Pan samples from "choco- pan .com" Gonna test them all head-to-head since I've only used Wilton and Michele Foster's Fondant so far.

cakemeasIam Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:27am
post #17 of 18

fondarfic....hands down!
icon_smile.gif

chouxchoux Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:22am
post #18 of 18

thanks barbarann...i've ordered ut and will post after i use it. thanks all

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%