Need Ideas For Babyshower.....

Decorating By GL79 Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 5:50pm by Chasey

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 12

I'm throwing a babyshower for my SIL next month and it falls on a Saturday. It's been a while since I've been to one and for sure times have changed. I need ideas as to what to give as partyfavors, or are they actually given. I don't want to overspend on items that are just going to be thrown to the trash. Do you know of any websites for cheap items, or ideas. What have the people you invited liked the best. I was thinking of baking/decorating cookies, but I'm making the cake and I think that would be too much for me. If I do decide to make cookies can I bake in advance, if so how many days. Any new and creative ideas are very welcomed.

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 12

Cookies in colors that match the cake would be very cute. If you do them with fondant, they're quick too. Hobby Lobby has cute baby themed cookie cutters in different sizes. You can make cookies in advance...most people say up to a week in advance, but you can also freeze cookies until you need them.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 12

You can definitely make the cookies in advance. You can even freeze them depending on the circumstances.

I just went to a baby shower a couple of months ago - and the people went all out. I mean too out. There were about 6 or 7 favors for each person. And most everyone just left them there. It was a huge waste of money.

I would just give one favor, whether that's some M&M's in a little box, a cookie, a cake ball, a piece of fudge, etc. Just my thoughts.

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 12

I think edible favors are the way to go, too. My cousin recently had a baby shower and had a friend do all the invites, the decorations, the favors, everything... And she used the baby's sonogram picture on EVERYTHING. It was really weird. I mean, the sonogram picture is a beautiful thing for the parents or even grandparents to have, but what does your friend want with a keychain that has your baby's sonogram picture on it? My point is silly favors get left behind and your wallet gets lighter for nothing. Edible favors get eaten, usually cost less, and are something everyone can be happy about taking home! : ) www.cookiecutter.com has some great baby cookie cutters, too. I just ordered five of them!

Good luck!

snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 12

I definately agree. Go with the cookies. I just did a shower and we did cookies as the favor. I did the cake too. The cookies were onsies and bottles and very easy to make. I should have a picture of them posted. I made them three days before the shower and wrapped them very well. They were very fresh and everyone thought I had just made them that day. icon_smile.gif

GL79 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks everyone for your input on this,

Snowqueen, what recipe did you use?
I just went to the store and bought DH sugar cookie mix, will this work?

Once again,
Thank You

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 12

You should try the NFSC recipe which is in the recipe section and if you're going to do Royal Icing, I would strongly recommend Antonia74's RI, which is also in the recipe section! They are both fantastic!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 12

Even easier cookies....

Spinningleaf.com has a baby footprint chocolate covered oreo mold for $6 plus shipping and they are adorable!! It takes just minutes and they stay fresh for months sealed in the chocolate! (Don't freeze them, it makes the chocolate yucky, I find) Buy two molds if you have a lot to make. You can only do 6 at a time/mold. It's almost effortless and there is a whole stream on here about these cookies, with pics, if you do a search.

naomipalomares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naomipalomares Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 12

If you do the NFSC, do the whole batch. I halved it and it didn't work. So I was told to make the whole batch. I've yet to do it so we will see.

I am also doing a baby shower. I considered cookies but what I think I've decided to do is get some baby food jars (I put an add on Craigslist) fill it with pink and white jellybeans or m&ms and tie a ribbon around it. I am also going to print round stickers to stick on the top with a picture, name, and date.

GL79 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:53pm
post #10 of 12

Naomi that's a good idea. I think I'll mention it to my SIL and see what she thinks.

Tinacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinacakes Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 5:45pm
post #11 of 12

I am in the process of planning a shower, i would go with cookies or even chocolates of some kind. I hate leaving a party with a favor that i know can not be used for anything and will end up in the trash. You can also do a cookie cutter if you do not want to go the edible route.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 12

Just throwing another baby shower favor idea out there:

I hosted a jungle themed baby shower recently and I made small chocolates ahead of time from a baby animal mold found at Hobby Lobby.

I used white chocolate, dark chocolate and peanut butter candy melts, some with Heath bits mixed in. I kept 3 makeshift double boilers on the stove and even with one mold and freezing time, I was able to make about 60 of them in a few hours. Wear cotton gloves to keep fingerprints at bay.

I packaged them in cellophane bags (about 5 pieces) with green tissue paper cut out like a jungle leaf, sitting on a bed of brown shreds. I tied the bags with green/white zebra print ribbon and had scrapbook quality stickers that went with the theme on the bags. I created a matching tag on each that read: It was such a sweet treat to see you, thanks for coming! And the date was printed there as well.

The chocolates will keep between wax paper for weeks in a cool and dry place in tupperware. I kept mine under the bed, near an a/c vent! Dark and cool. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%