Kitchenaid...which One

Decorating By luv2c_cultures Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 1:36am by denetteb

luv2c_cultures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2c_cultures Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 14

So I will be getting a KA for Christmas! Yay!!! icon_smile.gif Someone actually paid attention to what I wanted. LOL!

My question is, which one is better the one where the top lifts up or the one where the bowl lifts up? And would a 5qt bowl be big enough? Anything else I should consider before picking one out? I've been looking and am feeling a bit confused and undecided.

Thanks!

13 replies
elizacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizacake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 14

I've got the biggest one and I really love it . The only time it's a problem is when I'm mixing a half batch of icing. The beaters don't really go down the the bottom of the bowl. So if you're mostly doing large batches it's fab! It's also got the biggest motor which comes in handy mixing that stiff buttercream. icon_smile.gif Good luck with your choice. I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one you get!

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 14

Pro 600 definitely. Why spend the money on the 5 qt artisan (thats the 1 I have) when you can start bigger HTH

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 14

Tilt is ok if your only doing light baking but if your doing alot of baking I would go with the 6 qt. Lift it is the best!

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 14

I have the PRO 600 and I love it!! I actually started with the 5 quart mixer with the tilt, but you can do sooo much more with the 600. The 600 makes more noise than the 5 quart, but I love it anyway.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 14

Get the Pro 6 qt. If the paddle doesn't sit where you want it to, you can adjust it by turning a screw just a teensy bit. The directions are in the manual.

You won't regret it. And if you're a SugarShack Buttercream maker, search the forum for a post by Sharon where she gives her ratios for the 6 qt. No disrespect to the person who posted their version in the recipe section, but it did not work at all for me.

elizacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizacake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

Get the Pro 6 qt. If the paddle doesn't sit where you want it to, you can adjust it by turning a screw just a teensy bit. The directions are in the manual.

You won't regret it. And if you're a SugarShack Buttercream maker, search the forum for a post by Sharon where she gives her ratios for the 6 qt. No disrespect to the person who posted their version in the recipe section, but it did not work at all for me.

Ahhh...now if I only knew where my manual was. lol

luv2c_cultures Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:31am
post #8 of 14

Thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 14

I guess I'm the odd duck out, but I like the smaller one better. I like being able to tilt the head back. I think you can get into the bowl easier to scrape, ect.

But, like anything else, it's probably what you are used to icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 14

Another thing to keep in mind is where you're going to store/use it. The taller one with the lift will not fit under my kitchen cabinets, so I'd have to put in on the kitchen table to use it--not handy for me. I've also wondered how those larger mixers work for smaller batches-say 3 egg white for a meringue pie..or just one cake mix...

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:38pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

Even with adjusting, I still end up with gunk on the bottom of my Pro 6. And I REALLY wish I'd gotten the tilt-head -- I don't like the lift up and down feature.

Memie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memie Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 14

I originally had the non-lift one but after one use I returned it and got the artisan. Much easier.

luv2c_cultures Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:26am
post #13 of 14

For those of you who have the artisan, how large is your bowl?

I'm used to a hand-held mixer, so whatever I do end up getting will be an adjustment. LOL!

Thanks for the tip Jeanem....I should go and measure how much space I have between the kitchen counter and the cupboards. I would have never thought of that!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:36am
post #14 of 14

ElizabethS, To adjust the bowl there is a silver screw with a slot for a standard screwdriver. The bowl must be in the down position as the screw is covered when in the up position. It faces the front of the counter and is below the head. Hard to explain but there aren't that many screws to pick from. It is directly in front of where the lift handle attaches. From my manual...."Attach the flat beater. Adjust so flat beater just clears bottom of bowl when in lifted postion by turning screw counterclockwise to raise the bowl and clockwise to lower the bowl. Just a slight turn is all that is required. The screw will not rotate more than 1/4 turn (90 degrees) in either direction. The full range of adjustment is 1/2 turn or 180 degrees. Place bowl handle in up position to check clearance. Repeat steps as necessary. When properly adjusted the flat beater will not strike on the bottom or side of the bowl. If the beater or whip is so close that it strikes the bottom of the bowl, coating may wear off the beater or wires on whip may wear."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%