Can I Salvage A Fallen Cake?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 5:53pm by sugarMomma

sugarMomma Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 7

I just made the chocolate WASC cake recipe from this site and at the last 10-15 min of baking it fell in the middle! I think its when I accidentally banged the top of the oven/range. Will it still be ok or do I need to bake another...I've never had a cake fall on me before.

6 replies
2SchnauzerLady Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 7

Hi sugarMomma - glad to see another here from Virginia Beach!
You will have to check to see what your cake looks like in the center - if not acceptable, you'll have to rebake.

sugarMomma Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 7

It is nice to see another VB native!

But can you tell me how I will know if it is ok in the center? I can get a knife to pull out clean, but what else should I look for?

2SchnauzerLady Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 7

I think you'll probably have to take a small plug out of the center, small enough to fill with BC or what ever filling you are using. If you don't taste the plug, you can put it right back in the hole.

kakeladi Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 7

Just how sunken is it? You said you put a knife in and it came out clean. That leads me to believe it will be fine. If you have any other cake scraps around you can make a paste w/b'cream and fill in the hole or if it;'s not very deep just ice it smooth.

sugarMomma Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 7

Starting about two inches from the edge it sank from 1/2-1" at it's deepest. I have another layer to bake, since I only have one 10" pan, and figure I could use it as the bottom layer and fill strawberry SMBC if it is still good..

sugarMomma Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 7

I did bake a 6" round with the extra batter, and figured I could cut out the fallen part and replace with the small round to plug..found out the fallen middle was fine.

So as a lesson, do not open the oven before the cake is done! It even says so on the recipe, but I had to get that little round out before it overcooked. (won the battle but lost the war...) Or be careful not to bang the oven, which ever caused the fall. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%