How Do I Use Gum Paste?

Decorating By CakesByAdriana Updated 16 Dec 2009 , 2:49pm by CakesByAdriana

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 16

I am a newbie to gum paste. Is it the same as fondant?
Are the same methods used?
Any helps and advise is greatly appriciated. I have 2 cakes to do for next week and I want to use gum paste instead of fondant.
I want to take a class but I figured everything else was self taught, how hard could it be? LOL icon_smile.gif

15 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 16

Use fondant to cover your cake. It says soft and is edible. The gumpaste is fine for flowers, figures, and items that you want to dry quickly and hard.
Most people don't eat gumpaste.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 16

You would only want to use gumpaste if you wish your decorations to dry hard. It is mostly used for flowers. What kind of decorations will you be making?

For the most part you roll it out and use it like fondant. Gumpaste also has a stretchy texture which allows you to roll thin edges on leaves and flowers.

Because it dries quickly, always wrap the scraps or the pieces you aren't using very quickly or it can get a hard shell. I store leftover gumpaste wrapped in plastic and then in a ziplock bag to keep it from getting hard.

he_calls_me_angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
he_calls_me_angel Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 16

actually if you don't mind I'm going to throw a question in on top of yours, I used gumpaste once and my figures developed cracks in them...what did I do wrong?

KathysCC Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 16

I don't think I would make figures out of pure gumpaste. I think they probably would crack though I don't know why.

I make figures from fondant or a fondant/gumpaste mix.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 16

Fondant and gumpaste are very different.

If you want REALLY hard results...use gumpaste. I try really hard to not use gumpaste on anything that will be eaten.

Jen icon_smile.gif

CakesByAdriana Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:32am
post #7 of 16

Thanks for all the comments and advise. I am making flowers and snowflakes.
The flowers for one cake will be all gerbers. I have used fondant before but the take so long to dry.
I also have another cake to do with snowflakes ... I will be using the plunger cutter.
I will be covering both cakes with fondant and using the gum paste for the flowers and snowflakes only.
I usually cover my fondant with plastic wrap while I am working does gum paste really harden that quick?

Thanks again for all the help .. keep the posts coming.
I will post some pics up when I am done.

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:28am
post #8 of 16

Is adding gum-tex to fondant the same as using gum-paste or is there a difference too?

KathysCC Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:06am
post #9 of 16

Adding gum-tex to fondant will help your fondant dry a little faster and harder and will give it a little more stretch but it won't make it the same as pure gumpaste.

Angelfire3 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Adding gum-tex to fondant will help your fondant dry a little faster and harder and will give it a little more stretch but it won't make it the same as pure gumpaste.

OK thanks. I wasn't sure b/c I want to start making leaves for the tink treetop cake, but the directions in the book said to put gum-tex in the fondant. I don't have gum-tex. All i have is fondant and gumpaste. Gumpaste should work just fine.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Sorry.

KathysCC Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artese

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

OK thanks. I wasn't sure b/c I want to start making leaves for the tink treetop cake, but the directions in the book said to put gum-tex in the fondant. I don't have gum-tex. All i have is fondant and gumpaste. Gumpaste should work just fine.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Sorry.

Oh, I don't think you've hijacked...we are discussing gumpaste! icon_smile.gif

You know, I've mixed gumpaste and fondant together and it works just fine. It will give you a faster drying leave and make it a little stiffer without drying rock hard which makes them easier to break.

CakesByAdriana Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:50am
post #12 of 16

LOL no hijacking no worries. we are all here to help ....all question and comments are welcome.
Gum-tex is what you add to Fondant to make to work better and dry harder.

I am working with gum paste for the first time .... I am actually starting my snowflakes tonight. I will post some pics later.

Wish me luck lol

Angelfire3 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:17am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianaChappell

LOL no hijacking no worries. we are all here to help ....all question and comments are welcome.
Gum-tex is what you add to Fondant to make to work better and dry harder.

I am working with gum paste for the first time .... I am actually starting my snowflakes tonight. I will post some pics later.

Wish me luck lol

Thanks everyone. Good Luck Adriana.

CakesByAdriana Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:36am
post #14 of 16

So I made some snowflakes .... I used a plunger cutter. Couldn't get the cutter to release. It cut, made the print but it was like I used a cookie cutter. Anyhow I am not sure if it was because I rolled the gum paste to thin or ....? Any input!
I am glad I got to try uding fondant but I am not sure I will use it for this cake but I will definetly make Gerbers for my other cake.
Any advise or tips or ... anything?
My idea for this cake was pretty simple, clean and elegant. 2 Tiers white with white snowflakes dusted with luster. I might use ribbon to finish off a the boarder. I think fondant snowflakes might be better. Fondant might be better to apply to the cake while they are still fresh and not hard!
Sorry for rambling.

Angelfire3 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:31pm
post #15 of 16

AdrianaChappell,
Did you take photos of what you have so far? If so, attach them to this thread so we can see it.

CakesByAdriana Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:49pm
post #16 of 16

One more question....

should I be adding gum tex to gum paste as well or only add to fondant.

I use Satin Ice fondant and Gum paste. Are they ready to use? I usually only add gum tex to fondant to make it more workable?

Any advise. Quick icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%