All I Have Is This Picture...

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 3:22am by emrldsky

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 8

And I can't figure out what design elements are being used for this cake!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i257/emrldsky/cake_1950s.jpg

This is the cake my dad's sister and her husband had at their wedding in 1959.

My mom got this bright idea to replicate the cake for their 50th wedding anniversary. Unfortunately, all we have is this picture. I've ask the graphic designer I work with if there's a way to make the elements of the cake stand out more, but I'm not sure it's possible. I also do not have the original.

I know that there are only about 5-6 roses on each tier, but beyond that I cannot figure out what the design is on the sides (other than maybe a diamond pattern out of some piped design).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

TIA!

7 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 8

The diamond pattern looks like it is piped with a star tip of some kind, and there looks like maybe rosettes in the center of each diamond?

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 8

Looks like a simple diamond pattern, with smaller flowers inside the "frame" of diamond shapes. Since it is all white, and rather basic, I am not sure that you would need to be more specific than that...it appears to be a traditional wedding cake design of the time.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 8

It's a lattice design. Piping in b'cream with tip 47 (I think - it's the basket weave tip; flat w/prongs on one side) It could be done w/a star tip.
Just draw lines up at a slight angle making Xs. I might have a similar pic in my photos. I cannot see any of the pix I have posted so I can't find it for you - sorry.

It's out of the OLD Wilton wedding books - the one w/the blue cover I think icon_smile.gif

emrldsky Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you everyone! I will let my mom know so she's aware.

I truly appreciate it!

And kakeladi, I just browsed through your pics and found one you were talking about. icon_smile.gif I think you're right on!

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 8

Would this help?
You can hardly see the swans this way, but I think the rest is more "clear" (though not prettier icon_smile.gif )

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 8

The swans are Wilton also, plastic and slipped onto the bottom of each pillar. I think I still have some, haha.

emrldsky Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:22am
post #8 of 8

Definitely a bit easier to see!!!

And luckily, my cousin told my mom about the swans, so she's already ordered those, lol.

Thank ya'll soooo much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%