Rose Molds

Decorating By SandiOh Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 1:42pm by JenniferMI

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 8

I agreed to do 15 dz cupcakes for a friends wedding....she wants to have a rose on top of each cupcake....It can be a rolled rose, or a small rose...she left that up to me...My question is, has anyone used a rose mold? I'm thinking specifically the "Roses galore" from First Impressions....do they make nice roses? are they relatively easy to use...I will be using Fondx premade red fondant?
I can whip out a rolled rose without too much difficulty, so wondering which would look better, and which would give me less hassle...TIA

Sandi

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 8

Hi Sandi, last month I did a cupcake tower for a wedding and the bride wanted roses on each cupcake. I made them by hand. Before that I had a look at the molds and I didn't like the look of the rose. But now I feel I should have used a mold as it took a very long time to make the roses and I had to colour them in gold too! Unfortunately I don't have photos to show you as I'm still waiting for them. icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 8

i don't know about the particular mold you are asking for, but i do know there are some very nice detailed molds out there for roses. There is a cake in my photos, that has red molded roses on the sides of it, Its white with the white loopy bow on top. The mold is a sugar bouquet mold (she is no longer in business, but sunflower sugarart makes alot of the same molds rosemary used to)

SandiOh Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 8

bashini - thank you for replying...that's my fear too, that I'll start the ribbon roses then wish I didn't...

Peg - wow, those roses are nice...you might have sold me on the molds...were they tedious to do?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 8

Sandy, I believe this is pretty close to the mold i have. They really weren't that tedious, i just smooshed the candy clay in to the mold then pop in the freezer for a bit (about 5 to 10 minutes) go about doing something else while its in there. then popped the flower out, I did find that i had to let the mold warm up before making another flower or i didn't get as good of flower as i would have otherwise. http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19298&name=Square%20Rose%20Mold%20(NM-114)%20by%20Sunflower%20Sugar%20Art

SandiOh Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:07am
post #6 of 8

Thank you Peg, I think I'll order this and give it a try!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:08pm
post #7 of 8

Using a mold is no more tedious than hand making 200+ roses! icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 8

Molds are nice, but one at a time..... very time consuming. You more than likely will have to chill the mold before getting it out.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%