Cream Cheese Frosting Help Needed!

Baking By chefdot Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 3:35pm by prterrell

chefdot Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 3

OK I need a cream cheese frosting that has NO BUTTER in it since that's the major culprit to making the frosting melty.
I just did a recipe with 1 cup of shortening and 1 stick of cream cheese and powdered sugar and the bride said she didn't taste the cream cheese and it was too like buttercream... I love it and I hate buttercream so I think the other way... so now I am back to the drawing board... 6 days before the wedding!
HELP!!!!!
Maybe I can do 2 sticks of cream cheese and powdered sugar but thinking it might be too thin. So maybe throw in some shortening with it and no butter flavoring at all. Ugh!
Plus she wants to do a taste of each one I do to make sure she likes it before the wedding.... so I am making so much frosting I CAN'T EVEN USE! Not to mention that she is getting this cake cheap as a favor! Ugh!
HELP ME PLEASE! ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE WONDERFUL!
Maybe thinking of incorporating marshmallow fluff into it too! Yum!

2 replies
peg818 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 3

i know you said no butter, but this is what i use

1 stick butter
1-8 oz cream cheese (full fat)
1/2 cup crisco

2lbs confectioners sugar

1tablespoon flavoring (i use pure vanilla)

a little milk if the icing is too thick, or up the cr cheese a little if too thick.

prterrell Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 3

I find that it's the cream cheese that makes cream cheese icing so goopy and hard to work with. Also, I've had cream cheese icings made without butter and they really just don't taste right. Maybe subbing in some hi-ratio will help stabilize things? Try this out:

8 oz unsalted butter
8 oz hi-ratio
8 oz cream cheese
2 tbsp sour cream (I prefer Daisy brand as it is real sour cream, unlike most other brands) -- the sour cream really brings out the flavor of the cream cheese
pinch of salt (about 1/8 tsp)
2-4 lbs sifted powdered sugar

Cream the heck out of the first 4 ingredients, then add the PS a cup or two at a time until the icing is the consistency you prefer (more PS will make it crust).

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%