To Cake Makers In Uk - Cascading Roses

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 7:26am by margi24

MissCakeCrazy Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:22am
post #1 of 6

A customer has shown me a picture of a cake with cascading roses down the side of the cake. My question is:

1) how do I attach the roses onto the cake? If I put about 3 roses inside a posy pick and stick into the cake, won't that losen the structure of the cake as there are ALOT of roses. The cake might break off.

2) do I attach the sugar roses before I get to the venue OR do I transport the 3 tiers seperately, stack them in the venue, and then attach the roses? If this is the case, what happens if the worst happens and you find that you don't have enough roses to cassade all the way down?

3) I know that all American cake makers will tell me to transport it whole having a centre pole in the middle of the cake but this is not generally done in the UK. What have you cake makers from the UK done?

4) If I were to use a centre dowel, where would you buy one as they only sell short dowels in the shops. The only place I can think of is B&Q. How would I sharpen the point?

5 replies
mamawrobin Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:06am
post #2 of 6

to sharpen the center dowel i use a pencil sharpener.

britishmum Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 6

Attatch with royal icing. Transport assembled. I do not sharpen dowels, a firm push gets them in place. Take some spare roses and icing bag in case you need to replace some at venue. Place cake box on thick piece of foam in car

rainbow_kisses Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 6

With out seeing a pic it is hard to understand how many roses and how they would be arranged on the cake but there are a few ways of doing cascades.

1. wire them in short bunches and place posy picks or heavy duty drinking straw is just as good,at intervels down the cake to creat the cascade.
2. place them on with out wires and attach using royal icing indevidually but then you will have to assemble the cake first place most of the roses and then if you did not want to transport in one piece you would have to take it apart and reassemble on site and finish off placeing the roses.
3. make on big cascade and place a posy pick in the top tier depending on how big the cake was this option mught be to heavy and big.

As for a centre dowel, I have never used one but yes B&Q to buy long lengths of dowel and sharpen it with a knife.

As for not having enough roses you should always make 10% more than you need to cover any breakages.

cherrycakes Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 6

If you're doing sugar flowers I just learned how to do them on a toothpick which sticks directly into the cake. The holes are so small that they don't compromise the structure, especially if you're covering the cake with fondant (sugar paste). I assembled the cake at my class and took it home with no problems - those flowers weren't going anywhere!

margi24 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:26am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrummymummy

As for a centre dowel, I have never used one but yes B&Q to buy long lengths of dowel and sharpen it with a knife.

I too am looking for a central dowel but didn't think we could use wooden ones in cakes in UK in case it splinters or something? thumbs_up.gif i was gonna try looking for a plastic one or any other food safe material??????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%