How Much Pounds Would You Charge For This In The Uk?

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 5:15pm by Relznik

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:10am
post #1 of 11

A customer has asked if I could do a 3 tiered wedding cake for them. She showed me the picture, I tried to download it here but it keeps saying that the extension BMP is not allowed?? The tiers all have piping on them and each tier is seperated by one row of sugar roses. How much do you normally charge for this in London? Maybe if someone replies, I can attach the picture to an e-mail so that you can see it.

10 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 11

Is the picture on the web? Could you post the link to the picture? Not that I could with the lb pricing anyway.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 11

Hi, since there are sugar flowers, I would say between £350 - £400. But like to see the photo too! icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 11

Something like this (but with piping)?:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1380027.html

I charged 625 euros for this (approx £550). It served 75 (6,8 & 10in tiers 4in deep). That works out to be about £7.50 per serving. I wouldn't have done it for any less, - it took me about 40 hours work altogether (there are approx 100 roses), and cost approx £200 to make.

Just look at Maisie Fantasie/ Little Venice Cake Co, etc - they would have charged well over £1000 for something similar!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Something like this (but with piping)?:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1380027.html

I charged 625 euros for this (approx �550). It served 75 (6,8 & 10in tiers 4in deep). That works out to be about �7.50 per serving. I wouldn't have done it for any less, - it took me about 40 hours work altogether (there are approx 100 roses), and cost approx �200 to make.

Just look at Maisie Fantasie/ Little Venice Cake Co, etc - they would have charged well over �1000 for something similar!

Oh my gosh! Your cake is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

MissCakeCrazy Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 11
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:10am
post #7 of 11

Its beautiful! But maximum I would charge be £450. Its a three tier cake. And when you make the sugar roses, make one first and see how long it takes to make one. You have to guess how many you would need. So you have a rough idea how long it will take to make the flowers. You might have to make few extra incase of breakage.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:54am
post #8 of 11

well that perticular website are charging £305 + roses so you can use that as a ball park figure.I would personally charge for the sizes that were given 8,7,6" charge £175 for the cake if they were sponge cakes and then £2 per rose HTH (but i am in the north.)

MissCakeCrazy Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 11

I gave the customer 2 quotes yesterday for 2 wedding cake designs and she said that she is going to half to consult her fiance. I hate it when they do that. thats how I lost a customer last time. The man always never wants to pay as much for the wedding cake and always finds some where cheaper. This way I lose a sale. Have you experienced this?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCakeCrazy

I gave the customer 2 quotes yesterday for 2 wedding cake designs and she said that she is going to half to consult her fiance. I hate it when they do that. thats how I lost a customer last time. The man always never wants to pay as much for the wedding cake and always finds some where cheaper. This way I lose a sale. Have you experienced this?

No. I think it's really important before you start investing any time into a potential order to be up front about pricing. If you have a website, put your minimum charges on there, say what you will charge extra for etc, etc. All my wedding cake pictures have a price bracket with them. So if a bride likes a design and wants something similar, she knows before even contacting me that she's looking at xx.xx - xx.xx per serving. That way I rarely get time wasters!

Having seen the picture now, that cake is smaller (85 servings - who are they kidding? That cake will serve 54 max if sponge), and has far less roses than mine did, and I do fancy schmancy flavours. I would say £350-£375 is a fair price if you do that size in something like Madeira.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCakeCrazy

Sorry, but I'm with your customer... I wouldn't have arranged anything (apart from my dress and bridesmaids dresses) for my wedding, without consulting my (future) husband first!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%