Buttercream With Fondant Decorations

Decorating By ccbyHeather Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 4:57pm by chasley101

ccbyHeather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccbyHeather Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:46am
post #1 of 9

I have a customer that would like a buttercream cake with fondant decorations? I'm concerned the decorations wont hold up. The decorations are strips and polka dots. Any help would be appreciated.
icon_smile.gif

8 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:05am
post #2 of 9

When you say not hold up, do you mean not stick, cause they should be fine. A lot of people have done buttercream cakes with fondant accents on this site.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:16am
post #3 of 9

I do it all the time with no problems.

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 8:36am
post #4 of 9

I use fondant on buttercream all the time with no problem at all. The only time it might be a problem is when the fondant piece is sticking up or out from the buttercream and then it may soften and droop. But if the entire piece of fondant is on the sides or top of cake it should be fine.

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 8:39am
post #5 of 9

I use fondant on buttercream all the time with no problem at all. The only time it might be a problem is when the fondant piece is sticking up or out from the buttercream and then it may soften and droop. But if the entire piece of fondant is on the sides or top of cake it should be fine.

ccbyHeather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccbyHeather Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks a million for your responses!! Haven't done it before and wanted to make sure before I told her I could do it.
Thanks!!! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 9

Put them on while the cake is chilled. This way you aren't dinging the BC whilst trying to get things straight and sharp looking.

lildutch10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lildutch10 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 9

Can you store a cake in the fridge that is covered in buttercream with fondant decorations? I am making a cream cheese frosting and i guess it needs to be in the fridge... so was wondering about the fondant decorations if they would be okay?

chasley101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasley101 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:57pm
post #9 of 9

You can definitely put fondant decor on buttercream. I use clear vanilla as a glue. Just swipe the back of fondant piece with vanilla and stick it on the buttercream. Works every time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%