Do You Prefer Ri Or Fondant For Large Batches Of Cookies?

Baking By mrsc808 Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm by bobwonderbuns

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:26pm
post #31 of 53

I added another post with the links again on that thread ....

pinkchef1217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkchef1217 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:28pm
post #32 of 53

Would marshmallow fondant work for this?? or is there another type of fondant that would work better?? Im new to this idea over RI. Does the fondant make it softer when biting into compared to RI being so hard. It just seems like the RI cookies are for looks and not taste and I want to make a cookie with BOTH!

After you put the fondant on the warm cookie does it harden enough to put them in the cellophane bags? If so about how long do you have to wait.
Thanks so much guys =]

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:12pm
post #33 of 53

Yes, marshmallow fondant works for this. That's what I use. It gets firm enough to bag very quickly. It's SO much easier than flooding with royal that I have a hard time wanting to ever do that again! It is softer to bite into. It's funny, I don't like the texture of fondant with cake-- the chewiness, but with a cookie-- I love it!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:06pm
post #34 of 53

I'm with you,makeminepink, I don't care for fondant on cake, but really like it on cookies. I use MMF.

I enjoy the decorating part so much, I don't try to get it on while they are warm from the oven. I use thinned corn syrup to adhere it to the cookie. Then I decorate to my heart's content icon_biggrin.gif

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:27pm
post #35 of 53

I've only used satin ice....usually I put the "base layer" at 1/8inch...and anything on top at 1/16th or less...I used to "build" the coverings and rush to get them on the hot/warm cookies...now I use piping gel..I found that sometimes there were bubbles if I applied on a hot cookie.I have also let them cool a bit,add fondant,and then put them back into the oven for a minute...usually works,sometimes bumps...so I use the piping gel to adhere to the cookie ....if I do layers of fondant..water is enough to stick them together.. icon_smile.gif

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:24pm
post #36 of 53

I made my cookies using all your suggestions and they turned out great!!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH EVERYONE. I actually had fun doing them too. I have now decided that I will do it again for Valentines. I would like a chocolate sugar cookie like the NFSC one. What do you suggest?[/b]

iownajane Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:14am
post #37 of 53

Got this one from another list...they're not bad at all! from kitchengifts.com......
CHOCOLATE ROLLED COOKIES

1 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
2 Tbsp extra-strong coffee or chocolate liqueur
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar for 2 minutes.
Scrape the bowl and cream the mixture for an additional minute. Beat in the egg
and coffee or liqueur. Beat until the liquid is absorbed. Sift together the flour,
cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture 1 cup at a time to
the butter mixture. Mix well. If you are using a hand mixture you may need
to add the last cup of four by hand.

Divide dough and chill. Or, as I do, divide the fresh dough into thirds and roll
between sheets of parchment paper and then chill on a cookie sheet.. Bake 6
to 8 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow cookies to cool on the cookie
sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. This dough can be frozen.

I got about 18 3" cookies out of this recipe.

Hint: Rather than wait for your cookie dough to chill, take the freshly made dough and place a glob between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll it out to the desired thickness then place the dough and paper on a cookie sheet and pop it into the refrigerator. Continue rolling out your dough between sheets of paper until you have used it all. By the time you are finished, the first batch will be completely chilled and ready to cut. Reroll leftover dough and repeat the process! An added bonus is that you are not adding any additional flour to your cookies.

pattycakes55d Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:19am
post #38 of 53

that's a good hint iownajane. thanks for the recipe.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:36am
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemookie

I will be the oddball here!

I prefer RI, only because when I have forced myself to do it, I became good at it!

I couldn't flood for the life of me when I first started, but now I'm pretty good at it and fast. Lots of practice only makes you better at it!

Now piping, that I need to improve at!

One of these days I should bust out that pasta roller my DH got me for the KA for fondant. I keep getting distracted by new stencil designs!

I'm with you, I often have huge orders which go faster with royal icing. I put it in a flooding consistency into a plastic bottle and flood that way -- very quick and easy. No rolling, cutting, smearing with jam and trying to put on the cookies evenly. icon_biggrin.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:48am
post #40 of 53

Anyone have a cookie I can see with the MMF/fondant on it?
I think if it was a simple cookie, fondant would be great.
One more thought....after you put the fondant on, I assume you let it
cool to somewhat harden. THEN do you add other decorations, such as
RI in other areas? How does RI react to fondant?
I'm still not convinced about it on cookies. Just seems like the cookie
would tend to be really thick with all the fondant/decorations on top.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:19am
post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

Anyone have a cookie I can see with the MMF/fondant on it?
I think if it was a simple cookie, fondant would be great.
One more thought....after you put the fondant on, I assume you let it
cool to somewhat harden. THEN do you add other decorations, such as
RI in other areas? How does RI react to fondant?
I'm still not convinced about it on cookies. Just seems like the cookie
would tend to be really thick with all the fondant/decorations on top.

Here are some from my pix:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1269737

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=995203

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=547883

My cookies are 1/8 inch thick to begin with and the fondant is about 1/8 inch thick as well, so overall it's not nearly as thick as you might think. They're no more thick than the royal icing cookies. The royal icing works fine over fresh fondant or over fondant that has hardened for a while. It never gets "crunchy" or "crusted" like other mediums do. Here's a few royal icing cookies I did:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1262808

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1269749

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=995143

iownajane Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:43am
post #42 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakes55d

that's a good hint iownajane. thanks for the recipe.

You're welcome...it came with the recipe...I usually chill the dough,and then roll,cut,and re chill the shapes before baking...between the parchment sheets..

BACI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BACI Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:35am
post #43 of 53

Hi all - First of all thanks for all the great info!! It is coming at a great time for me as I have to make cookies for a friend's baby shower at the end of the month. My previous (& 1st) decorated cookie was done for her wedding shower decorated with RI - a princess crown outlined & flooded with RI & topped with personalized m&m's at the tip of the crown - I was very happy with the way they came out! People even complimented on the taste... so yeah, maybe I should stick with what works - but now I have a lil 2 1/2 year old to entertain icon_lol.gif & those cookies took a LONG time!

I am considering using the suggestion of MMF (never used it before) but need to know if I can adhere edible images to it???? & how to avoid bubbles etc. Any suggestions/opinions will be greatly appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

linedancer Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:09am
post #44 of 53

Yes,BACI, I use edible images all the time. It is neat, fun and easy. Here are some I did for Christmas. I got the containers at Dollar Tree and scanned the tops, made the cookies to match the containers.
LL

pattycakes55d Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:05am
post #45 of 53

bobwonderbuns, those are really sweet cookies! I've never done cookies before and Xmas made them with fondant. Super easy. After I put the fondant on, I just went around the edges of the fondant not only to seal it to the cookie, but to also soften the line. You could never tell they were fondant.

Linedancer - you're so creative - I love those cookies. I have to get a printer so I can do those. Need to save first though.

BACI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BACI Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:12am
post #46 of 53

Linedancer - OMG! How beautiful & what a really great idea... Thank you so much for sharing!! so, if I may ask, after baking you apply MMF (while warm?) and let dry/cool? then apply the edible image (with anything specific to help create a smooth surface?) allow to dry & add trim design around the image?

Sorry to request a step by step - but I've worked with fondant, and RI and edible images... but never together! lol
Thank you so much for your response & assistance! icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:13am
post #47 of 53

Okay, this is too weird....I posted a post last night and it's not showing up!

bobwonderbuns~ Again, thank you so much for posting those cookies. They are amazing and I would have never known they were fondant. I have a few of yours in my favorites already.

I'm going to have to try them as it seems to be a great idea. I'm just worried about the taste even though I like MMF.

Will try them this weekend. Honestly, work sure does get in the way of baking! Ha, ha.

linedancer Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:24pm
post #48 of 53

Thanks for your kind words, BACI and pattycakes55d.
bobwonderbuns your cookies are so beautiful and you are always so helpful.

BACI, here is how I do my cookies:

I use thinned karo syrup to adhere the fondant to the cookie. Have found that the thinner the better, straight out of the bottle is way too thick.
I brush it on with a fairly good size artist brush, bought at Michaels, not very expensive. When it is thinner, it kind of soaks into the cookie, doesn't make a mess on the fondant, but it still adheres very well. The cookies are cooled. I usually bake one day, decorate the next.

I normally put the fondant on 12-18 cookies, depending on how many will fit on my trays.

Then I use the same corn syrup, put a little of it on the cookie with a small brush. I put it within the area of the fondant that the ei will cover. I brush it around until the fondant is somewhat sticky. Take the ei and lay it on the wet spot. With your finger, press it down and slide it around just a bit. This moves the corn syrup to the edges of the ei I find that the less syrup you use, the better it is, you do not want the syrup to run out from under the ei(ask how I know) icon_rolleyes.gif

After I attach the ei, I do whatever embossing I am going to do, then go on to the next cookie.

If I am using luster dust around the ei, I brush that on first, leaving a spot where the ei will go, that way you don't get the dust on the ei.

Contrary to what I have seen on cc, I sometimes use colored fondant, it works on cookies anyway. Here's some I did for Christmas. Sorry so long, if you have any questions, just pm me.
LL

vickymacd Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:46pm
post #49 of 53

linedancer~ wow, those are really nice. Loved your other ones you posted too. What a good person you are baking. I just can't go through all that work for cookies! Ha, ha. But they sure are beautiful.

My only thought to your baking one day and decorating the next.....
I would think that if you put the MMF on the cookies when they are warm,
they kind of melt into the cookie. If you do them after cooled, they just
kind of sit on top of the cookie, right?

I'm assuming I could put the MMF on top when warm to let it melt in, then even do decorating or ei the next day if I wanted, right?

This is really cool ideas. thanks bobwonderbuns and linedancer for your ideas and visuals!

iownajane Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:13pm
post #50 of 53

Bobwonderbuns and linedancer..fabulous cookies...all the methods turned out fantastic! I want a printer too....someday...LOL!
I put edible images on with thinned piping gel..so that's an option too.

linedancer Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:35pm
post #51 of 53

vickymacd, since I have never done the warm method, I can't say how it would look. If you put it on after it is cooled, it does not melt into the cookie, but it does adhere to it very well. Maybe when I bake the next time, I will try a couple to find out.

Thanks for your kind words, I love doing cookies, but cakes are a different story....

vickymacd Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:53pm
post #52 of 53

linedancer~ I'm no expert on either one, but cookies seem like sometimes they are more work than a very detailed cake! Hate rolling out cookies, but the results sure are yummy and cute. It's funny how some people on CC specialize in just cookies, and some other areas of cakes. Guess that's what makes CC so special are all the many different talents! Every time I come on here, I learn something new.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm
post #53 of 53

Thanks everyone! Those are some of the cookies I teach in my cookie class (along with chocolate and other techniques.) Hey, it's sugar, it's fun!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%