Making Gumpaste

Decorating By yummy Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 4:33am by icer101

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:47am
post #1 of 5

Which gumpaste recipe on this site is easy to work with? I had Nicholas Lodges recipe but I can't find it. Does gumpaste have to rest? What is the least amount of time that you can let fondant, mmf and gumpaste rest before working with it? TIA!

4 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:00am
post #2 of 5

I believe this is the Nicholas Lodge recipe. The current recipe doesn't credit him as the source but I printed the recipe out when it did give him credit. I've made it and it's really great.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2142/gumpaste

As for allowing it to rest, it does say to allow it to mature for 24 hours in the refrigerator, if possible. I've heard that fondant should rest at least 8 hours.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:02am
post #3 of 5

That is the right recipe. It gets much stretchier overnight.

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:25am
post #4 of 5

I also use the recipe. I have tried several different ones and nothing compares to Nicholas' recipe. It can be used immediately, but is easier to work with if it rests for about 24 hours. It's too stiff when first made. I love this recipe because everything holds it's shape.

Good luck!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:33am
post #5 of 5

nicholas lodge's recipe is the best.. i do let anything i make rest overnite.. it just works better.. fondant..g/p... modeling chocolate.. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%