Dummy With Dents, Repairable?

Decorating By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 4:47pm by HowCoolGomo1

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:39am
post #1 of 7

These aren't huge dents, really just a few nicks.

I didn't realize the damage was there until the fondant started drying.

Will royal icing work? I would like to do the repair directly on the styro.

Also while on the dummy topic did I read this correctly, seal the edges with piping gel to prevent flaring?

6 replies
mistypup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistypup Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:11am
post #2 of 7

Thick royal should work - - - just spackle it on, smooth it, and let it dry completely before covering with fondant. For slightly bigger dents or gouges, you can form some fondant in there and keep it in place with water or royal. It takes a bit of patience, and you may need to go over it one more time after the first coat of RI or fondant dries to get it smooth, depending on how severe the damage.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:56am
post #3 of 7

I totally agree with Misty. The only thing that I will add is remember that RI gets darker as it sits. So use just a little bit and wait. Because if you patch the dents and it's the wrong color, everyone is still going to be able to see the problem area's.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 7

Sure will work, just smooth it into the dents...

Jen icon_smile.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 7

What do you all use when working on dummies to hold them in place??? I tried tape and it didn't work, but I was taping to my turntable, maybe that was the problem.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 7

The weight of the fondant on the dummy should hold it in place while working on it. Or you can place it on one of those non slip mats from the dollar store.

Royal icing works really well for filling in dents and gouges. I rarely let it dry completely if it is just minor. I just fill wait a couple of minutes and then apply the fondant over a light spritzing of water.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%