Separator Plates????

Decorating By grahamc Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 2:58am by indydebi

grahamc Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know what kind of separator plates were used for this cake?

5 replies
indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:35am
post #2 of 6

When I made a cake in that style, I use styrofoam squares wrapped in ribbon. I had dowel rods in the cake that supported the squares.

grahamc Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:53am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the reply Indydebi. When you say you wrapped the styrofoam in ribbon, do you mean the edge that shows? If so, what did you use to cover the top and bottom of the styrofoam?

indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 6

I just wrapped the sides with ribbon.

I DID worry that the wooden dowel rods that I use might push thru plain 'ole styrofoam bases. So I sat the ribbon-wrapped styrofoams on a piece of cardboard, then sat it on the dowels. The upper tier cake was on a cardboard and I just sat it on top of the styrofoam piece.

grahamc Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:43am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the help! Sorry for so many questions, but I have one more.
How stable was the cake just sitting on top of the styrofoam? I would think it would need a dowel or something going into the foam for support, but what do I know, I'm a newbie still tying to figure all this stuff out!

indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:58am
post #6 of 6

I assembled it on site, so once it's assembled on the cake table, it's not going anywhere. Worked fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%