I'm Pathetic And Need A Hard Slap

Lounge By -Tubbs Updated 28 Nov 2009 , 1:53pm by rosiecast

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 31

My husband and I are travelling to NYC next week for a special event (which, if you twist my arm not-very-hard I'll happily tell you all about). DH told me to go out and buy an outfit for it.

Yay!, right? Uh, no. I can't find anything decent to wear. Everything I tried on looked TERRIBLE on me, whine whine. I even looked in the plus size shops, but that was a disaster too - apparently I need to either lose some weight or gain some: I'm too large for the 'normal' clothes, and don't have enough of anything, especially boobs, for the plus sizes.

Looks like I'll be going in my trusty black suit.

Now feel free to slap me - if this is the worst thing that happens to me this week, I'm a very lucky girl, right?

30 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 31

Man, don't you just hate that? Any time I finally decide to go buy clothes I'm too big for a 12 but too small for a 14; too short for regular, too tall for petite; always too small to fill out the boobs. Who makes these clothes!!??

When my daughter was tiny, when we went clothes shopping and were in the dressing room if I said, "Oh, this won't work" she'd say, "Is it too tight in the hips, mommy?" I realized that was what I always said!

Even if it's not a matter of world peace, it's okay if you feel frustrated because you're going to an important event and you won't look your loveliest. You won't get any slaps from me for that! Is there any time to get something altered? It might be worth the expense.

And, tell us where you're going!! It sounds like something important that you're really proud about. Do tell!!!

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 31

What real women doesn't have a problem getting clothes to fit? I mean they don't want to make clothes for women over the age of 35 with normal bodies that are still stylish. Just want to design clothes for Barbies with enhanced breasts, tummy tucks and liposuctioned thighs. I am 60 and would like to find something between Miley Cyrus and Alfred Dunner to wear. Not ready for elastic waist pants but no longer can wear low ride jeans and belly bearing (OMG no) tops. I hope that your trip is wonderful. Don't let this get you down. Maybe you can find a pretty scarf or some new jewelry that can dress up that black suit and make it seem new again.

-Tubbs Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

And, tell us where you're going!! It sounds like something important that you're really proud about. Do tell!!!

Well, since you asked...!

There's a new exhibit going into the American Museum of Natural History for the 200th Anniversary of the publication of The Origin of Species; big Darwin thing.

My husband's great grandfather, Alfred Russel Wallace, was the co-discoverer of the theory, although Darwin gets all the credit because he wrote the book about it. A part of the exhibit is about Wallace, and we are invited, expenses paid, to go and see the unveiling. There is also talk of a NY Times science reporter wanting to interview DH, which would also be fun!

So yes, I'm proud, but only because DH has lived for years with people not knowing his great grandfather's name, and it's wonderful for him to get some recognition. For me it's all basking in reflected glory!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Russel_Wallace

And thanks for the sympathy. You're right, it's not a matter of world peace, but it's a pain not to be able to find something nice on the rare occasion that I'm actually TOLD to go and spend money!!!

-Tubbs Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by manahigh

I mean they don't want to make clothes for women over the age of 35 with normal bodies that are still stylish.

Yes!! And what, in the name of all that is holy, makes 'them' think that because you're a larger woman, you want to wear clothes with teddy bears on them????? Is it meant to distract people from the size of one's arse, because I can tell you, it doesn't. icon_sad.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 31

You need to find a store that carries plus-size junior clothes. Those are not as roomy in the bust as the regular plus sizes.

Most of the clothes I try on at Ross don't have room for my bust, and they have dressy, formal stuff there too...so if y'all have Ross up your way, you should try there.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 31

Why don't you choose something that you like, then have it altered to fit properly. I often do that, it is amazing how big a difference not having gaping arm holes, gaping waist bands, the correct length of pants and skirts etc - it just makes you look a lot more put together than making do with something that is not quite right.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 31

congratulations, what an honor, have fun, glad for you

Ruth0209 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:10am
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Well, since you asked...!

There's a new exhibit going into the American Museum of Natural History for the 200th Anniversary of the publication of The Origin of Species; big Darwin thing.

My husband's great grandfather, Alfred Russel Wallace, was the co-discoverer of the theory, although Darwin gets all the credit because he wrote the book about it. A part of the exhibit is about Wallace, and we are invited, expenses paid, to go and see the unveiling. There is also talk of a NY Times science reporter wanting to interview DH, which would also be fun!

So yes, I'm proud, but only because DH has lived for years with people not knowing his great grandfather's name, and it's wonderful for him to get some recognition. For me it's all basking in reflected glory!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Russel_Wallace

And thanks for the sympathy. You're right, it's not a matter of world peace, but it's a pain not to be able to find something nice on the rare occasion that I'm actually TOLD to go and spend money!!!

That is really fascinating. What a great honor and "better late than never" recognition for your DH's great grandfather. He made a very significant contribution to our understanding of the origin of the species of the world.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:10am
post #10 of 31

Ooo Tubbs, how neat. What did it feel like to find out about your DH grandfather? That is just so fricken neat!

As far as the clothes, I feel your pain. I'm short and starting to get stubby. What the heck am I Supposed to buy?! Plus junior maybe where I need to go. I didn't even know that existed...then again I'm sure I'm much to old for junior's style.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:17am
post #11 of 31

whoa! That's an awesome thing you are invited to! How interesting!

Sorry I can't help on the clothes issue. That's another thing that gets my BP up! icon_biggrin.gif
Why can men just go in and buy stuff with no big problems????????? I know women are all different but ....sheesh!!!!
This won't help in this case I think, but I LOVE Gap curvy jeans and pants, first time in years I can get a good fit (BIG booty, smaller waist)

-Tubbs Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:46am
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

Why don't you choose something that you like, then have it altered to fit properly.

You know, I didn't even think about that. I wonder if there will be enough time...? (leaving Monday a.m.)

I'm going to go out shopping again tomorrow and see if I have any more luck. New shoes will help, I'm sure (I'm not a shoe person, so my go-to boots are very sad looking and not NYC-worthy!)

I was a slim teenager - gained weight when my kids were little and was too lazy to lose it, also I love my food too much, but still never considered myself to be that big (5'6", 175lbs). I do know that higher-end stores tend to be a little roomier in sizes, so I may have more luck in the mall than in the local stores.

-Tubbs Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:51am
post #13 of 31

Thanks for the lovely comments! Yes, it is really cool. I always knew about him, from when I met my husband, but it was always quite low-key. Since we've lived in North American there's been a lot more interest - most of the Wallace scholars are American. The Brits aren't really that interested in him, unfortunately. Our boys are named for him: George Russel Wallace and John ("Jack") Russel Wallace, and my husband is William Russel Wallace.

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:58am
post #14 of 31

Awesome history!!

I gotta say I've been pretty happy with Kohls. But I'm a 14 (most stuff) to a 16...

Wish you the best of luck!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:14am
post #15 of 31

I first heard about Wallace when taking Biology in high school, and my teacher made a big thing about Darwin being better known because he published first, but that Wallace should be credited with the idea, as well.

I agree with onlymadaresane about Kohls. I'm a 12-14, rather busty, and for the first time in a long time, I have been able to find pants that fit without alteration. They seem to have a better variety of fits on their clothing. I noticed the other day that they have three lengths in Petite now, which is very unusual.

What is even better is the promotions that they have. I got a flyer in the mail with a 30% everything sticker. Then, the next day, I got a $10 off $20 hang tag on my front door. Finally, they had an additional 25% off all clearance items. I went in with DH and bought him a nice shirt and a sweater and a shirt for me, and after all of the discounts, it cost us $9.

-Tubbs Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:02am
post #16 of 31

No Kohls here icon_sad.gif

Size-wise, I'm a 14-16 too, which just about fits XL in some stores, but is dwarfed by plus-size stuff. BTW, I think US sizing in general is a little more generous than some of the stuff we get up here - can that be right? I just know that when we travel south I can find more nice stuff to fit me...

LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:05am
post #17 of 31

You are absolutely right. The designers put smaller sizes in bigger clothes. For example: I bought a dress that was a size 2 and I know for a fact at the time, I wore I size 5. When they said I needed a 2 I was like B.S.! I haven't worn a 2 since I was 14!

FloraFlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloraFlora Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:29am
post #18 of 31

That's so cool that Wallece is getting some recognition! I hope you'll enjoy the event and be proud!

I like the altered to fit idea. Try look into those seamstresses who alter wedding dresses. They should have solid experience with altering high end clothes, and they may be able to squeeze you in their schedules since there are less November brides.

LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:31am
post #19 of 31

Love your cakes FloraFlora.

So Tubbs, can we use you for name dropping purposes? :p

FloraFlora Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:36am
post #20 of 31

Ahha! Just noticed that you are a fellow Canadian! icon_smile.gif

It's a pity we don't have as many high-end clothing stores than our fortunate cousins down south. All that popped into my head right now are: the Bay, Sears, and they are not high end! Hmmm.. maybe try Laura?

FloraFlora Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:41am
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Love your cakes FloraFlora.

Thanks LaBellaFlor icon_smile.gif Your cakes are great, too!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:24am
post #22 of 31
Quote:

Quote:

I mean they don't want to make clothes for women over the age of 35 with normal bodies that are still stylish.

Yes!! And what, in the name of all that is holy, makes 'them' think that because you're a larger woman, you want to wear clothes with teddy bears on them????? Is it meant to distract people from the size of one's arse, because I can tell you, it doesn't. icon_sad.gif

I'm dying over here....you just made me laugh out loud! (You don't know how badly I needed that)

-Tubbs Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:09pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Quote:

Quote:

I'm dying over here....you just made me laugh out loud! (You don't know how badly I needed that)

Yay! Glad to make you smile!

-Tubbs Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:13pm
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

You go right ahead!

I was talking to the guy who's hosting us, and he was all "It's an honour to have you.. etc" I laughed and said "No it's not! We haven't done anything!" Seriously, it would be pretty sad if I thought I was anything special because I married a man whose great grandfather did something cool 150 years ago!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:25pm
post #25 of 31

I think that is very cool - enjoy your trip to NYC!! (and I bet there are some Kohl's there somewhere too) icon_wink.gif

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:08pm
post #26 of 31

honey have you considered those wrap around dresses? I've been sooo many different sizes and those always complimented me.
I hope you have fun! And im sure you'll look amazing nomatter what you wear.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 8:29pm
post #27 of 31

Do you have a Coldwater Creek nearby? They have really nice clothing in all different sizes, from casual to dressy.

-Tubbs Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 3:53pm
post #28 of 31

Hi everyone,

I thought I would give you a quick update on our trip. It was a whirlwind, but lots of fun and very interesting. We flew into NY on Monday evening, went straight to the hotel (Waldorf Astoria - very fancy!), then out for dinner with our host and a curator from the museum.

Up early the next morning for a quick tour, including a fascinating behind-the-scenes look. There was a short press conference; I was just required to smile and shake hands with people whose names I would instantly forget! The curator really enjoyed showing DH off to all the geeky insect people, who treated him like royalty!! So funny.

Out for a lovely lunch with people so well-connected and wealthy it made my head spin. Tried not to be hopelessly provincial and ignorant. They were all very kind to us. Assured us we'd have plenty of time to get to the airport for our plane. We did NOT. Missed it and had to stay overnight and fly out Weds am, which was fine actually, as it gave us a chance to catch a breath!

Back home to making kids' lunches and cleaning toilets!!
Ah well, it was a great experience which we'll always remember.
LL

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 12:19am
post #29 of 31

You both look very handsome, and you look very NYC-ish. Congrats on the trip and DH's honor.

Ruth0209 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:22am
post #30 of 31

Oh, and you look terrific! That empire waistline is very flattering - makes everyone look taller. You look very sophisticated. See, you had nothing to worry about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%